Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Burn After Watching.

Have just gotten back from the cinema, where I saw Burn After Reading, a film I'd been quite anticipating - for the crazy looking trailer, the cast and crew involved, and the Oscar buzz already being generated. Most importantly, however, the film posters, which are a throwback to the work of legendry movie poster designer Saul Bass ( 1 // 2), are bunging wonderful. Even though my cinema ticket cost the equivalent of £1.42 and a half pence (Orange Wednesdays bb), I was not impressed in the slightest. It was a load of turd.

- The cast were AWFUL; living proof that you can bung as many talented performers as you want into a movie, but they’ve actually got to, you know, bother acting. Frances McDormand epitomized irritation, Brad Pitt did nothing apart from hang about looking like he was missing a few up there, John Malkovich swore a bit, George Clooney looked beardy and confused, and Tilda Swinton worked the asexual cold bitch shtick that is like, beyond passé. The guy that played Juno’s dad in Juno was OK enough, but eh. And no-one needs to know what George Clooney and Tilda Swinton bunging sounds like.

Bung

- The plot was just ridiculously poor. Don’t get me wrong, I love fun and frenzy as much as the next guy – District 13 is bloody marvellous – but one got the distinct impression that the Coen brothers had no idea what to do with this movie, created a bunch of characters and threw in a sex toy for good measure. Er, no.

- Speaking of the Coen brothers, those Oscars for Direction & Best Film they picked up earlier this year must have really gone to their head, and instilled them with the belief that they can fob their fans off with just a bunch of crazy shit that doesn’t make much sense. Whilst it’s paid its dividends in the past – The Hudsucker Proxy & Intolerable Cruelty were good fun – Burn After Reading lacked the heart and soul that those movies had, and a result, just looked lost. As for the SPOILER killing off of Brad Pitt's character /SPOILER, it was irritating when you did it with Josh Brolin in No Country for Old Men; don't try and pull that same stuff twice in two years, please. You're not as clever as you think you are; your viewers do actually have memories.

Really, really shit film.
f
- Furthermore, um, Working Title and Focus, what the 4-x were you thinking? If it wasn’t for the likes of Atonement and Pride & Prejudice that these two production companies have collaborated on, I would be pretty unimpressed with the pair of them. How is it possible that the producers did not step back, look at their excuse of a film, and feel ashamed?

- Lastly, was this meant to be a comedy? I laughed a little at the start (due to wanting to larf at a Coen brothers' movie more than anything), but as the movie went on, the laughs wore thinner and thinner. Brad Pitt repeating "Osbourne Cox" over and over again does not a funny scene make. The main lulz I got from this movie was in how terrible it was.

All in all, I’d quite like my time and money back. I’m deeply, deeply disappointed in the Coen brothers for wasting my time with this, and feel that everyone involved in this should hang their heads in shame. If this gets anywhere near Oscar nominations, then there is something seriously wrong with the world.

17 comments:

anahit said...

*sigh of relief* good. I probably won't bother with this then. I was considering seeing at, seeing as I probably should watch a coen flick for once...but tbh it seems boring...and now it's app. rubbish too. *shrugs* ah well...

Emma said...

So, so, rubbish. Don't waste your time, seriously. Focus on preparing on all your Uni interviews and whatnot, and not on watching shoddy movies like this.

Anonymous said...

Now that you mention it, there's definitelt a resemblance between those vintage posters and the Burn After Reading one.

Anonymous said...

Oh, good. I almost thought I was the only one who didn't like this movie!

Catherine said...

Yeah, I wasn't impressed either. I didn't hate it as much as you did, but halfway through I actually started to feel bored. Not what I'd usually expect from a Coen Brothers production. Brad Pitt was by far my favourite thing about it, I thought he was hysterical. Loved that one scene where he first makes contact with Osbourne Cox - sadly it went downhill after that.

The sex toy thing was just...awful. I actually cringed. Not because I'm a prude, but because it seemed like such an aribrary, puerile gag that had no place in the film as a whole.

It also felt unfinished.

Bah. I'd been looking forward to it for ages, based on that trailer.

What an amazing trailer! What a disapointing film.

Stace said...

Great review. Not much luck with movies lately eh

Just a girl said...

I was intrigued by the trailer, but I've heard so many scathing reviews - though perhaps none quite so scathing as yours - so I've mixed feelings, and I probably won't end up going.

Thanks for the warning!

x
JAG

Kayleigh said...

Hehe just as well you don't like it, I was going to ask if you wanted to see it when you visited me! I'll just take you to the theatre instead! Hope you can get a cheap flight, stupid credit crunch! I'm trying to get my air stewardess friend to give you a discount flight!

Just a girl said...

Ha ha. I did end up seeing it, because my family wanted to so I went with them and they were paying, etc. And it was funnier than I expected. I thought most of the main roles acted their parts well, esp. Brad Pitt. Sure, the plot wasn't much, but the satire of it and the dialogue was well written and entertaining. It might not have been the best Coen film, but I don't think it was the worst.

x
JAG

Anonymous said...

I hated it too. Coen brothers are overrated.

Anna Banana said...

I don't know...although I know it's not the Coen brothers at their finest, I didn't think it was terrible. There were parts I thought were absolutely hilarious (Brad Pitt parts, mostly) and some that I just cringed at (that little sex toy thing? Yeah, not very nessa eh?). But all in all, I liked it as a movie.

Anonymous said...

Um, you seem to have missed the whole point of the movie. That review was too superficial and self-involved. Acting, you say? Frances Mc Dormand was nothing short of brilliant in a neurotic way. As for Brad Pitt, nothing suits him better than when he tries to be funny, and he's proved it again with Inglourious Basterds. If you don't get the Coen brother's peculiar brand of humour, then seriously, stop trying to analyze it from a limited viewpoint and make a royal mess. This movie was one of most entertaining and funny movies of 2008.

Emma said...

Lol, jog on mate!

Information Review said...

Considering the people that were in this movie, I really expected more. It wasn't that funny. I think it was Brad Pitt's worst role. The plot is depressing and nonsensical. It is hard to believe the stupidity of the characters at times...

Dougie said...

I recorded this, as the plot seemed interesting but I started to watch and just found it lousy - gave up after 15 mins. Great review though.





dog jackets

Juliette said...

I read your review, as I have this movie on DVD and wondered if you could pursuade me to try and watch it again - I ditched it last time after half an hour. No, I was right, so disappointing!

leather dog harness

Plus Size Toga costumes said...

I do agree with you Juliet. It makes me depressed too. Well, I learned some new things about this movie. Great review from others!