Thursday, June 09, 2011

Punch-Drunk Love (Paul Thomas Anderson, 2002).

Barry Egan (Adam Sandler) is a bit of a loser. He buys pudding just for the frequent flier miles even though he doesn’t have any where particular to go, and breaks things in random bouts of self-loathing. And in his loneliness, he calls up a sex line run by some crooks in a nearby Califoronia town. And that sex line calls him back, blackmailing him for money. At the same time, he finds himself tentatively courting Lena, a woman almost as damaged as he. Together, they form an unlikely, and very sweet romance.

Punch-Drunk Love is dark and mature, most unlike the stereotype of Adam Sandler’s other work. But in a more dramatic role, the man thrives. Kitted out in a jarring bright blue suit and sporting a whole arsenal of odd little mannerisms, Sandler is very convincing his depiction of a weird but oddly lovable man who deep down has a heart of gold and only acts out due to desperation. Emily Watson is just as well cast as the kooky, jaded, but adorable Lena. Philip Seymour Hoffman steals the show as the mastermind behind the sexline con, with his self-important strut and devil may care demeanour. The supporting cast are all excellent, and we ourselves really feel the sense of stifling that Barry Egan suffers due to having so many pushy sisters.

Punch-Drunk Love is an impressive, offbeat, bizarre film that offers a whole whirlwind of emotions in the viewing experience. The music and script are sometimes almost distractingly random, but that suits the disjointed style of the film. Furthermore, the fusion of comedy, romance, drama, violence all plays out to be an enthralling little number. Plus, I’m willing to bet money that you were totally rooting for Barry when he defends his woman’s honour with a crowbar; I know I was! Delicately, sensitively written and maturely directed, Punch-Drunk Love is a punch-drunk masterpiece.


Besty said...


A blog piece?

And I'm seeing you tomorrow... so much activity from you!

Emma said...

lol. I *love* movie blogging, it's legit my entire life. I mean, that's 99% of the reason why I'm travelling to Norf Landan tomorrow to see you (the other 1%'s your company, I s'pose), because you always have the best movie recommends! But my life's a mess, I'm a mess and I've just not had the time. But that will all change this Summer. PROMISE.

Excited! :D

Anonymous said...

iphone unlock
unlock iphone

unlock iphone unlock iphone unlock iphone
i have this program that pops up every 5 seconds and i cant find it in uninstall programs and searched the faqs for the website to uninstall it and found it but it didn't take me anywhere and im thinking it was a fake tried to install something else and it wont let me and my back ground is gone. the program looks like a virus protection program. i think the program was a virus and i need some way to reset my computer, delete the virus, or something else. how to unlock iphone

how to unlock iphone unlock iphone [url=]how to unlock iphone [/url] iphone unloc

Sara said...

Beginning sounds doubtful, but ending in a recommendation? I'm starting to get the giste of your reviews Emma!

ezydog harness review

Anonymous said...

that's very true, that is emma's pattern! well noticed!

Free Antivirus Download said...

This article convey a very effective message. free antivirus download

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

I think the admin of this website is really working hard
for his website, because here every data is quality based stuff.