Just three this week, a terrible film, a terrific film, and a film that I liked a lot more than I expected to; all three films are about family.
You Again (Andy Fickman, 2010)
Kristen Bell plays Marni, a girl who was a “loser” in high school complete with oversized glasses, a dodgy haircut, and a streak of constant clumsiness that made her an incredibly easy target for the school's head cheerleader, Joanna (Odette Yustman). Eight years later, she is a successful public relations VP, who returns home for her brother’s wedding.
So imagine her horror to discover that the woman her brother’s marrying is none other than her former tormentor. Of course, it’s years later, and Joanna's seemingly turned over a new leaf, but Marni, having endured her cruel bullying for years, is less than convinced that this leopard has truly changed her spots.
I was not won over by this film, to be honest. The problems I had with it were the exact same faults I found with Bride Wars: the characters are far too thinly-sketched, their motives and actions are completely exaggerated and unbelievable, and the conclusion is far, far too pat.
The filmmakers have clearly tried the whole “bung some talented stars in in the hope that no-one notices how awful the writing is” formula. They even shoehorned in a parallel subplot featuring a rivalry between Jamie Lee Curtis and Sigourney Weaver. Whilst Victor Garber is good fun as ever, but even the cast can't turn crap to gold. I was not impressed. Never again.
2/10
Paper Moon (Peter Bogdanovich, 1973)
I absolutely adore Tatum O’Neal in this film, it’s one of my favourite child performances of all time. Addie Loggins is such a brilliant character; she smokes and steals, but lives by her own moral code. She has no qualms about swindling an old lady with more money than sense, but she can’t bring herself or her (possible) dad to steal from a struggling widow with a large family to look after.
Madeleine Kahn offers some superb comic relief and there are some amusing supporting turns, but this film is entirely carried by the electric chemistry between the O’Neals. One of the sweetest and most charming films of all time, Paper Moon came out in between Daddy Coppola’s two Godfather movies, but I love it more than both of them put together.
9/10
Conviction (Tony Goldwyn, 2010)
Hilary Swank plays Betty Anne Waters, a fiercely determined woman born into a troubled family and raised by a struggling single mother. When her brother, Kenny Waters (Sam Rockwell) is wrongfully sent to prison for a murder he didn’t commit, the odds are stacked against Kenny. His troubled background and history of breaking and entering work against him, alongside an array of key witnesses who testify in court that he bragged about the killing.
Betty Anne, being the only person who seems to believe her brother’s innocence, decides to put herself through Law School in the hope that she can overturn his conviction and secure his freedom.
I liked Conviction a whole lot more than I thought I would. Despite the heavy, rural "hillbilly" vibes the film initially exudes, it delivers a thoroughly entertaining and gripping drama. Hilary Swank gives and impressively understated performance (I do hope she gets nominated for an Oscar, I preferred her over Natalie Portman in Black Swan to be honest). Sam Rockwell matches her with an equally fantastic turn.
Juliette Lewis absolutely steals the show in an ultra de-glam cameo as well. Furthermore, anyone who knows me ought to know how much I love my redemptive dramas wherein the misunderstood protagonist finally achieves atonement after years of tribulation. The shades of Shawshank, particularly the 'earn your happy ending' trope rendered the film a massive win for me. One of the finer films of 2010.
7.5/10
To read more of my TV and film reviews, please click here.



3 comments:
Divorce is the end of a happy life. Divorce is certainly an end, but it can also be a beginning to a new and fulfilling life being a singledad or mom. It is possible to build a better life post-divorce than the one you had before. Figure out what it is that you want out of life, and what you need to do to get there. For advice and help Visit:
single Dads
bandwidth fail emmaboo!
Urgh, I completely forgot to keep an eye on the limit this month!! Bah.
Post a Comment