Friday, September 02, 2016

Ranked: Oscar nominated acting performances of the last six years

Ali Benzekri made this joyous montage (there’s few things I adore more than a cinematic montage) of every single Oscar-nominated acting performance of the last six years (6 x 20 = 120), ranked. 

Unfortunately, I haven’t seen all of them, and I was planning on making my way through the cinematic backlog before doing my own list. But then I saw Nathaniel over at The Film Experience (aka my daily film Bible) ranking them, and I just got the bug to do so. If I haven’t seen the film, that’s a pity, but if I haven’t done so by now, I probably won’t ever. So I may as well compile the list from those I have seen!

Because Nathaniel is basically goals, I’ve borrowed his style of compartmentalising the performances (even if we don’t see eye to eye on all the rankings).

Thus, without further ado… (asterix denotes Oscar winners, where I've reviewed the film on my blog, I've linked the review!)

The crème de la crème. What I watch films for. 

01. Rosamund Pike, Gone Girl
02. Emmanuelle Riva, Amour
03. Saoirse Ronan, Brooklyn
04. Leonardo DiCaprio, The Wolf of Wall Street
05. Rooney Mara, Carol
06. Chiwetel Ejiofor, 12 Years a Slave
07. Christian Bale, The Fighter *
08. Lupita Nyong'o, 12 Years a Slave *
09. Charlotte Rampling, 45 Years
10. J.K. Simmons, Whiplash *
11. Melissa Leo, The Fighter *
12. Viola Davis, The Help
13. Anne Hathaway, Les Miserables *
14. Marion Cotillard, Two Days One Night

Fabulous acting performances that have a spot in my heart.
Jesse and Rooney!

15. Jesse Eisenberg, The Social Network
16. Rooney Mara, The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo
17. Cate Blanchett, Blue Jasmine *
18. Melissa McCarthy, Bridesmaids
19. Jonah Hill, The Wolf of Wall Street
20. Amy Adams, The Fighter
21. Jonah Hall, Moneyball
22. Cate Blanchett, Carol
23. Keira Knightley, The Imitation Game
24. Michael Keaton, Birdman
25. Hailee Steinfeld, True Grit
26. Jessica Chastain, Zero Dark Thirty
27. Quvenzhane Wallis, Beasts of the Southern Wild
28. Jean DuJardin, The Artist *

V.g. 

29. Michelle Williams, Blue Valentine
30. Jessica Chastain, The Help
31. Barkhad Abdi, Captain Phillips
32. Annette Bening, The Kids Are All Right
33. Leonardo DiCaprio, The Revenant *
34. Sally Hawkins, Blue Jasmine
35. Julianne Moore, Still Alice *
36. Tom Hardy, The Revenant
37. Sylvester Stallone, Creed
38. Berenice Bejo, The Artist
39. Amy Adams, American Hustle
40. Brad Pitt, Moneyball
41. Julia Roberts, August: Osage County

Fair enough. I can see why they were nominated.

42. Judi Dench, Philomena
43. Michael Fassbender, Steve Jobs
44. Patricia Arquette, Boyhood *
45. Eddie Redmayne, The Theory of Everything *
46. Ethan Hawke, Boyhood
47. Mark Ruffalo, The Kids Are All Right
48. John Hawkes, Winter's Bone
49. Edward Norton, Birdman
50. Hugh Jackman, Les Miserables
51. Alicia Vikander, The Danish Girl *
52. James Franco, 127 Hours
53. Rachel McAdams, Spotlight
54. Matt Damon, The Martian
55. Felicity Jones, The Theory of Everything
56. Jennifer Lawrence, Winter's Bone
57. Reese Witherspoon, Wild
58. Laura Dern, Wild
59. Michael Fassbender, 12 Years a Slave
60. Jeff Bridges, True Grit
61. Kate Winslet, Steve Jobs
62. Emma Stone, Birdman

They were OK… But stole a slot/win from someone a lot more deserving.
Jacob Tremblay was so much more worthy of awards than Brie, who stole Saoirse's Oscar

63. Brie Larson, Room *
64. Bradley Cooper, Silver Linings Playbook
65. Geoffrey Rush, The King's Speech
66. Meryl Streep, August: Osage County
67. Colin Firth, The King's Speech *
68. Octavia Spencer, The Help *
69. Benedict Cumberbatch, The Imitation Game
70. Helena Bonham Carter, The King's Speech
71. Robert De Niro, Silver Linings Playbook

If you say so.
72. Jeremy Renner, The Town
73. Jacki Weaver, Silver Linings Playbook
74. Bradley Cooper, American Hustle
75. Matthew McConaughey, Dallas Buyer's Club *
76. Alan Arkin, Argo
77. Christian Bale, American Hustle
78. George Clooney, The Descendants
79. Jennifer Jason Leigh, The Hateful Eight
80. Christoph Waltz, Django Unchained *
81. Jennifer Lawrence, Joy
82. Sandra Bullock, Gravity

Bye Felicia! 
How did Mark Rylance win? He slept-walked through this film!

83. Mark Rylance, Bridge of Spies *
84. Jared Leto, Dallas Buyer's Club *
85. Natalie Portman, Black Swan *
86. Christian Bale, The Big Short
87. Eddie Redmayne, The Danish Girl
88. Mark Ruffalo, Spotlight
89. Jennifer Lawrence, Silver Linings Playbook *
90. Jennifer Lawrence, American Hustle

There should be 120 performances on this list, so the 30 not listed, I haven’t seen.

I basically only did this list because I noticed in the comments section of TFE that when people listed their bottom ten, Jonah Hill featured in a lot of them for both Moneyball and WoWS, and I couldn’t be having that (he's kind of my second favourite actor. Looking forward to hearing his voice-work in Sausage Party later today). I thought I’d replace Jonah’s presence at the bottom of the list with a certain other person who I do not at all have a bias against

I’m clearly terrible at picking winners, as there’s more winning performances towards the tail-end of this list than there is the top. Although you could argue that part of the reason I dislike some of these performances is because I feel they stole the gold from someone more deserving (for example, Lawrence's intolerably OTT and shrill second bottom ranked performance, beat Riva, second top, in 2013). 

Random observations
 - the director that seems to direct the most performances I’m fond of is David Fincher (1st, 15th and 16th). 
 - Rooney Mara appears to be most 'worthy' in my eyes of her nominations (5th and 16th). 
 - Jennifer Lawrence, with four nominations in six years, is my least favourite performer on the list. #OverratedOveractor
 - The strongest category in a year was Best Actress 2015, (3rd, 9th, 22nd), not to mention Rooney Mara at 5 who despite being nominated in Supporting for Carol, was defintiely Lead. #SayNotoCategoryFraud
- Jonah Hill and Tom Hardy, both with no precursor nominations (eg Golden Globe, SAG or BAFTA) were surprise Oscar nominees in Supporting Actor for The Wolf of Wall Street and The Revenant, respectively. Both played co-star to Leo (that's who my favourite actor is, in case you were wondering). I like to think that being in the presence of Leo's greatness caused Jonah and Tom to raise their game.
Jonah and Leo's chemistry in this SNL skit was GOALS.

- Members of Taylor Swift's Bad Blood music video who've been Oscar-nominated in the past 6 years: 1, Hailee Steinfeld. Well, it sure wouldn't be Cara Delevingne, after her two Razzie-worthy performances in Paper Towns and Suicide Squad, now would it?

No comments: