Friday, July 10, 2009

That's not what I saw!

I watched Body of Lies on the plane yesterday, and I found it thrilling, well-acted (sigh, DiCaprio is pretty much the perfect man) and extremely grim. The torture scenes and violence made me shudder.

Well, turns out I got let off lightly. During the film, I noticed the characters kept saying "freaking" and "fricking" which didn't sound like language you'd expect in a Ridley Scott action thriller, so, curious, I went on the bbfc website. I was right, it had been edited -
BODY OF LIES is a Ridley Scott film about CIA anti terrorist field operations in the Middle East. It was classified ‘15’ for frequent strong language, bloody violence and torture.

At '15' the Guidelines state that ‘violence may be strong but may not dwell on the infliction of pain or injury’ and ‘there may be frequent use of strong language (e.g. 'fuck')’. The film contains explosions, several bloody bullet injuries, close ups of Roger’s various bomb injuries, a fight with dogs, a masked stabbing and two scenes of implied torture. The finale has a scene of torture in which two fingers are smashed with a hammer in close up and a man’s life is threatened with a large knife. As the scene is relatively brief and the injury is clearly condemned, it falls within both the letter and spirit of the '15' Guidelines. This film additionally contains strong sex references, for example to ‘pussy’ and ‘poontang’


So the torture scenes were even worse than I saw! Plus, today, I learnt what "poontang", a word we always say in drinking games, means. Nice.

No comments: