Sunday, January 25, 2009

Yeah you do!

Slumdog Millionaire has won the PGA Award for Best Film, with Wall-E taking best Animated Film and Man on Fire winning for Best Documentary. TV awards went to 30 Rock, Mad Men and John Adams.

Go Team Slumdog!!

Photobucket

I woke up this morning thinking about Slumdog Millionaire, which is quite an achievement if you consider that I watched three other films yesterday - Thirteen and Donkey Punch, both of which were extremely disturbing, as well as the highlights of Step Up, which had some of the most breathtaking dance sequences I've ever seen in my entire life, far better than anything I've seen on Britain's Got Talent. All three films were memorable in their own way (the former two for nothing but poor reasons), yet all I can think about is Slumdog Millionaire and how much I bloody loved it. The final scene, that kiss, that, for me is love, and pure love, and I don't think I've gotten so choked up by a cinema trip since I first saw Brokeback Mountain (which formed the basis of me starting this blog), and cried so much on the bus trip home, people kept staring at me and wondered if I was a Chinese asylum seeker that had gotten lost. I'm not ashamed to admit that I welled up a little at the end of Slumdog Millionaire, though it was because I was so chuffed, but also as a catharsis, because watching Slumdog had been a bit like chasing some boy that you love to death, only to come across obstacle after obstacle, and simultaneously trying to survive in a dog-eat-dog world. In that sense, I can see why I love Slumdog Millionaire and Wall-E so, both films involve men going to extreme lengths to be with the women that mean so much to them, and because they suffer in their trials, their finally being reunited with each other feels ever the more reward.

And I have fallen so far deeply in love with Dev Patel it's unbelievable. He's 5 days younger than me and resides in London, so I'm on a bit of a stalker mission when I get home.

Anyway, sorry for that incoherent and frankly bizarre ramble (you should see me "write" when I'm drunk!). What I guess I'm trying to say is, I rather liked the film.

8 comments:

Besty said...

You watched a film called "Donkey Punch"?

...

You're not as innocent as I thought, Emz.

Emma said...

Yup, I downloaded it by accident ages back when I tried to download Eden Lake and it's been on my hard-drive ever since. Me and my flatmates felt like a good lol, so I put it on, and ugh, it was so filthy! The acting was awful, story terrible, and all in all, the only good thing about it was that it ended.

As for the donkey punch itself, yuck. Enough to put me off food for a year.

We did larf quite a lot throughout the film though, some of the lines were just so poor, they beggared belief.

anahita said...

yay I've seen you write when you're drunk :P

I was in tears from the first five minutes, actually pouring down my face. Those little children were so cute, but it was their unbelievable spirit in life that made me bawl: they're being chased by some guard and they still have time to annoy the hell out of him. And of course, by the very very end with the dance sequence I was worried the whole cinema was going to hear me. I have never cried in a film so much, and it wasn't cos I was sad, it was cos I was actually so so so happy. I love this film SO SO much.

Besty said...

Your mates just agreed to watch a film like that? They didn't think you were some weird pervert?

Emma said...

I know! Those kids were so adorable, and I loved how cheeky they were.

@ Martin: they were up for it! As I said, we all wanted a good lol, and yeah, we didn't have anything better to do, so we braved it. :D

Harry W said...

As you know, I didn't care for Slumdog Millionaire much.

Also Donkey Punch and Step Up don't sound like two films you'd watch normally. Is there a negative correlation between film taste and the number of people you watch films with?

Kayleigh said...

Team Slumdog! Those final scenes - the phone call, the answer, the scar kissing, the dancing. God it had my heart come close to flatlining. What a stunningly beautiful and riveting film.

Anonymous said...

"I can see why I love Slumdog Millionaire and Wall-E so, both films involve men going to extreme lengths to be with the women that mean so much to them, and because they suffer in their trials, their finally being reunited with each other feels ever the more reward."

Were they the inspiration for your header?