Thursday, January 15, 2009

Jog The F_ck On.

I have never been more ashamed to be British. The BAFTA nominations this year are an absolute joke. I was so excited about it as well; got up nice and ready to watch Hayley Atwell and Gemma Arterton read some of the names out on BBC news, but I came out just bewildered. Granted, I haven’t seen a lot of the films, but, honestly, from what I have seen, this is the worst list I’ve seen since I ranked my friends in order of bungability. Eww.

Best Film
* The Curious Case Of Benjamin Button – Kathleen Kennedy, Frank Marshall, Ceán Chaffin
* Frost/Nixon – Tim Bevan, Eric Fellner, Brian Grazer, Ron Howard
* Milk – Dan Jinks, Bruce Cohen
* The Reader – Anthony Minghella, Sydney Pollack, Donna Gigliotti, Redmond Morris
* Slumdog Millionaire – Christian Colson

Right, well. I’m obviously sore that Wall-E didn’t make it, even though, deep down, I think we all knew it wasn’t happening.

Outstanding British Film
* Hunger – Laura Hastings-Smith, Robin Gutch, Steve Mcqueen, Enda Walsh
* In Bruges – Graham Broadbent, Pete Czernin, Martin Mcdonagh
* *Mamma Mia! * – Judy Craymer, Gary Goetzman, Phyllida Lloyd, Catherine Johnson
* Man On Wire – Simon Chinn, James Marsh
* Slumdog Millionaire – Christian Colson, Danny Boyle, Simon Beaufoy

DirectorChangeling* – Clint Eastwood
The Curious Case Of Benjamin Button* – David Fincher
Frost/Nixon* – Ron Howard
The Reader* – Stephen Daldry
Slumdog Millionaire* – Danny Boyle

I didn’t see anything special about the directing in Changeling. I would definitely have had Gus Van Sant's direction for Milk above Clint, who I personally adore.

Original Screenplay
* Burn After Reading – Joel Coen, Ethan Coen
* Changeling – J. Michael Straczynski
* I’ve Loved You So Long – Philippe Claudel
* In Bruges – Martin Mcdonagh
* Milk – Dustin Lance Black

Burn after f_cking Reading? It was so, so poorly written! Heck, even Blindness and High School Musical 3 had better writing than that! Ugh. To think that Burn After Reading is here, and Wall-E isn’t, just makes my blood boil. Seriously BAFTA, you don't have to feel guilty about giving Atonement the win for Best Film last year; that was a good pick! No need to feel you have to "atone" for anything by giving the Coen brothers a massively undeserved screenplay nod.

Good to see In Bruges getting in though.

Adapted Screenplay
* The Curious Case Of Benjamin Button – Eric Roth
* Frost/Nixon – Peter Morgan
* The Reader – David Hare
* Revolutionary Road – Justin Haythe
* Slumdog Millionaire – Simon Beaufoy

I really did not forsee BAFTA bumming The Curious Case of Benjamin Button so much. I do need to see it before I form a judgement, but, from pre-judgement, it just looks like a boring star-flasher with Cate and Brad, with the best thing being the (admittedly gorgeous) score by Mr. Desplat.

Film Not In The English Language
* The Baader Meinhof Complex – Bernard Eichinger, Uli Edel
* Gomorrah – Domenico Procacci, Matteo Garrone
* I've Loved You So Long – Yves Marmion, Philippe Claudel
* Persepolis – Marc-Antoine Robert, Xavier Rigault, Marjane Satrapi, Vincent Parannaud
* Waltz With Bashir – Serge Lalou, Gerhard Meixner, Yael Nahl Ieli, Ari Folman

Standard.

Animated Film
* Persepolis – Marjane Satrapi, Vincent Parannaud
* Wall•E – Andrew Stanton
* Waltz With Bashir – Ari Folman

Yay, the only category I predicted 100% correctly. Gemma Arterton’s attempts at pronouncing Persepolis kind of brought the lulz. I do love her.

Leading Actor
* Frank Langella – Frost/Nixon
* Dev Patel – Slumdog Millionaire
* Sean Penn – Milk
* Brad Pitt – The Curious Case Of Benjamin Button
* Mickey Rourke – The Wrestler

I genuinely considered predicting Dev Patel, yesterday, remember? I'm quite pleased for him; Anwar off Skins was lulz. Poor Leo’s been shunned off, in favour of Brad. Even he's crying about it, pp.

Photobucket

Leading Actress
* Angelina Jolie – Changeling
* Kristin Scott Thomas – I’ve Loved You So Long
* Meryl Streep – Doubt
* Kate Winslet – The Reader
* Kate Winslet – Revolutionary Road

Photobucket

I cannot for the life of me believe that BAFTA have snubbed one of their bunging own, the beautiful and adorable Sally Hawkins, London-born English rose and absolute darling in Happy-Go-Lucky. Kristen Scott Thomas and Angelina Jolie were both great in their roles, but I would nominate Hawkins above them in a heartbeat. As for nominating their beloved Winslet twice, could BAFTA be any more predictable?

Supporting Actor
* Robert Downey Jr. – Tropic Thunder
* Brendan Gleeson – In Bruges
* Philip Seymour Hoffman – Doubt
* Heath Ledger – The Dark Knight
* Brad Pitt – Burn After Reading

Brad fecking Pitt for Burn After Reading? All he did in the entire movie was act like a [politically incorrect term for mentally challenged person that rhymes with clowner]. I feel sick.

Supporting Actress
* Amy Adams – Doubt
* Penélope Cruz – Vicky Cristina Barcelona
* Freida Pinto – Slumdog Millionaire
* Tilda Swinton – Burn After Reading
* Marisa Tomei – The Wrestler

When Gemma Arterton read out “Amy Adams for Doubt” in her posh voice, I was well chuffed. Then… “Tilda Swinton for Burn After Reading”, and the pasta I had for breakfast nearly came out of my mouth.

Music
* The Curious Case Of Benjamin Button – Alexandre Desplat
* The Dark Knight – Hans Zimmer, James Newton Howard
* Mamma Mia! – Benny Andersson, Björn Ulvaeus
* Slumdog Millionaire – A. R. Rahman
* Wall•E – Thomas Newman

Well, at least my two favourite composers Desplat and Newman got on. And I was right about Slumdog Millionaire!

Cinematography
* Changeling – Tom Stern
* The Curious Case Of Benjamin Button – Claudio Miranda
* The Dark Knight – Wally Pfister
* The Reader – Chris Menges, Roger Deakins
* Slumdog Millionaire – Anthony Dod Mantle

“Eh.”

Editing
* Changeling – Joel Cox, Gary D. Roach
* The Curious Case Of Benjamin Button – Kirk Baxter, Angus Wall
* The Dark Knight – Lee Smith
* Frost/Nixon – Mike Hill, Dan Hanley
* In Bruges – Jon Gregory
* Slumdog Millionaire – Chris Dickens

I’m surprised Burn After Reading wasn’t nominated in this category; seeing as BAFTA loved that piece of turd so much. And yep, six nominees in this category. Funny how they can make space for In Bruges in editing, yet not give Wall-E a place for even its screenplay. *barfs*

Production Design
* Changeling – James J. Murakami, Gary Fettis
* The Curious Case Of Benjamin Button – Donald Graham Burt, Victor J. Zolfo
* The Dark Knight – Nathan Crowley, Peter Lando
* Revolutionary Road – Kristi Zea, Debra Schutt
* Slumdog Millionaire – Mark Digby, Michelle Day

Photobucket

Costume Design
* Changeling – Deborah Hopper
* The Curious Case Of Benjamin Button – Jacqueline West
* The Dark Knight – Lindy Hemming
* The Duchess – Michael O'connor
* Revolutionary Road – Albert Wolsky

Sound
* Changeling – Walt Martin, Alan Robert Murray, John Reitz, Gregg Rudloff
* The Dark Knight – Lora Hirschberg, Richard King, Ed Novick, Gary Rizzo
* Quantum Of Solace – Eddy Joseph, Chris Munro, Mike Prestwood Smith, Mark Taylor
* Slumdog Millionare – Glenn Freemantle, Resul Pookutty, Richard Pryke, Tom Sayers, Ian Tapp
* Wall•E – Ben Burtt, Tom Myers, Michael Semanick, Matthew Wood

Whoopdeedoo, a third nomination for Wall-E! in the sound category; how lovely(!)

Special Visual Effects
* The Curious Case Of Benjamin Button – Eric Barba, Craig Barron, – Nathan Mcguinness, Edson Williams
* The Dark Knight – Chris Corbould, Nick Davis, Paul Franklin, Tim Webber
* Indiana Jones And The Kingdom Of The Crystal Skull – Pablo Helman
* Iron Man – Shane Patrick Mahan, John Nelson, Ben Snow
· Quantum Of Solace – Chris Corbould, Kevin Tod Haug

Don’t care.

Make Up & Hair
* The Curious Case Of Benjamin Button – Jean Black, Colleen Callaghan
* The Dark Knight – Peter Robb-King
* The Duchess – Daniel Phillips, Jan Archibald
* Frost/Nixon – Edouard Henriques, Kim Santantonio
* Milk – Steven E. Anderson, Michael White
Don’t care.


All in all, it’s a bit of a shambles, if I’m being honest. Burn After Reading was not a good film. Sally Hawkins was snubbed. Wall-E got absolutely, 100% arse-raped. And there just wasn’t anything nice. I mean, I’m glad that Amy Adams got nominated, as well as the music nominations, but that’s it really. I disagree with so many of these nominations it’s unreal. BAFTA have been notorious for favouring their own in the past, and yes, this list does smack of nepotism, but not even in the right places. If you wanted to embrace the Brits, give Sally Hawkins a freaking nom!

All I wanna do is bang bang bang and take the BAFTA voters' money/right to vote next year.

13 comments:

Besty said...

"Jog on"
"All he did in the entire movie was act like a [politically incorrect term for mentally challenged person that rhymes with clowner]."

Charming!

anahita said...

why the FUCK (c3 exam went badly) has burn after reading got so many nominations?? for the love of all that is holy, do NOT tell me that brad pitt was better in that than my lovely, talented and completely UNDERRATED keira was in the duchess. god's sake. and no leo!! he was the best!! although given the fact that he's been replaced by dev patel rather than george burn after reading clooney or peirce mamma mia brosnan, I'm not quite so mad about that. but otherwise, for fucks sake!!! mamma mia for best british film. IT WAS NOT AS GOOD AS THE DUCHESS. what is wrong with people?!?!

Emma said...

Aww really? Well i'm sure you did better than you thought, and remember m'dear, you can retake January modules!

The BAFTA nominations this year are just beyond shitty. POOP.

Anonymous said...

Quoting "The Football Factory" Emma? That's a sign of descent into hooliganism.

Besty said...

Haha. That reminds me, you smashed the granny out of Ben yet?

Lisanne624 said...

I was so relieved to see that Happy-Go-Lucky wasn't nominated for anything! I can't for the life of me understand how this monstrosity has become a critical darling. I've never before been to a film where the audience departed en masse, stormed the box office, and demanded their money back. I'm so thrilled to see that sanity has returned. I was beginning to think aliens had taken over the brains of quite a few people, and I'd somehow missed being "re-programmed."

Whew! Let's hope Oscar will also see sense. I wasn't thrilled with some of the other nominations, either, but at least they (on some level) were understandable.

Emma said...

Course not! I'm classy in THAT sense!

Besty said...

If classy means slow and will never ever make a move.

Emma said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
J.D. said...

Mamma Mia! is British?

Emma said...

The "Best british film" category in BAFTA plays it hard and fast with the word "British". It's basically any film that's had a bit of British funding. Hence, there's a LOT of British co-productions (and by co, we're talking sometimes less than 30% here.) So yeah, not a great category, that!

Harry W said...

Hi Emma. I just got back from the Odeon in Coventry, watching Slumdog Millionaire, and I must say, I'm disappointed. I didn't think it was very good at all, and now I'm nursing a headache from the film.

So, just a head's up. You might love it, but you could see sense, and loathe it.

Antipholus Papps said...

I'm with you 100% on Burn After Reading! Am I missing something with this seemingly piece-of-shit film? I generally love the Coen brothers' work (The Big Lebowski is probably my favourite movie), but Burn After Reading was nothing but self-indulgent twaddle. It wasn't funny. It wasn't even interesting.

And the fact that the crime against humanity that is Mamma Mia has been nominated for anything other than a golden raspberry makes me think we have entered a new dark age. It makes me ashamed to be human!