Monday, January 12, 2009

Golden Globe Reactions.

Firstly, I’m so annoyed that I didn’t watch the Golden Globes. I could have caught it on an online stream, but meh, it would have gone on until the early hours of the morning, and, with me having exams, I decided against it. However, I feel I’ve missed quite a bit of entertainment in doing so, because this year’s golden globes had some of the best costumes I’ve seen for a while, interesting sounding celebrity presenters, not to mention their good ol’ montage at the start, this time set to “When I Grow Up”. (I remember, in 2006, they had a montage to “Dontch’a”, so maybe the producers have a thing for the Pussycat dolls?

Anyway, here are the winners, and the presenters too. Just so I can fully see what I was missing out on.

OPENING MONTAGE
Set to the song “When I Grow Up”

FILM SUPPORTING ACTRESS
Presented by Jennifer Lopez
Winner: Kate Winslet - The Reader

FILM ORIGINAL SONG
Presented by Sting
Winner: "The Wrestler" - The Wrestler - Bruce Springsteen

MISS GOLDEN GLOBE (Rumer Willis)
Introduced by Simon Baker and Eva Longoria

TV SUPPORTING ACTOR
Presented by Simon Baker and Eva Longoria
Winner: Tom Wilkinson - John Adams

TV SUPPORTING ACTRESS
Presented by Simon Baker and Eva Longoria
Winner: Laura Dern - Recount

FILM CLIP FOR “BURN AFTER READING”
Introduced by Don Cheadle

HOLLYWOOD FOREIGN PRESS ASSN. PRESIDENT (Jorge Camara)
Introduced by Eva Mendes

TV DRAMA ACTOR
Presented by Zac Efron and Hayden Panettiere
Winner: Gabriel Byrne - In Treatment

TV DRAMA ACTRESS
Presented by Chris Pine and Zachary Quinto
Winner: Anna Paquin - True Blood

FILM CLIP FOR “HAPPY-GO-LUCKY”
Introduced by Ricky Gervais

FILM ANIMATED FEATURE
Presented by the Jonas Brothers
Winner: WALL-E

FILM COMEDY ACTRESS
Presented by Johnny Depp
Winner: Sally Hawkins - Happy-Go-Lucky

FILM CLIP FOR “THE CURIOUS CASE OF BENJAMIN BUTTON”
Introduced by Jake Gyllenhaal

TV MOVIE OR MINISERIES
Presented by Drew Barrymore and Jessica Lange
Winner: John Adams

FILM SUPPORTING ACTOR
Presented by Demi Moore
Winner: Heath Ledger - The Dark Knight

FILM CLIP FOR “FROST/NIXON”
Introduced by Tom Brokaw

FOREIGN LANGUAGE FILM
Presented by Colin Farrell
Winner: Waltz with Bashir (Vals im Bashir) - Israel

TV MOVIE OR MINISERIES ACTRESS
Presented by Aaron Eckhart and Maggie Gyllenhaal
Winner: Laura Linney - John Adams

FILM CLIP FOR “IN BRUGES”
Introduced by Gerard Butler

FILM SCREENPLAY
Presented by Elizabeth Banks and Seth Rogen
Winner: Slumdog Millionaire - Simon Beaufoy

TV COMEDY ACTOR
Presented by Patrick Dempsey and Amy Poehler
Winner: Alec Baldwin - 30 Rock

FILM CLIP FOR “THE READER”
Introduced by Renee Zellweger

TV MOVIE OR MINISERIES ACTOR
Presented by Megan Fox and Terrence Howard
Winner: Paul Giamatti - John Adams

TV COMEDY SERIES
Presented by Glenn Close and Laurence Fishburne
Winner: 30 Rock

FILM CLIP FOR “MAMMA MIA!”
Introduced by Pierce Brosnan

FILM ORIGINAL SCORE
Presented by Sean Combs and Kate Beckinsale
Winner: "Slumdog Millionaire"- A. R. Rahman

TV COMEDY ACTRESS
Presented by David Duchovny and Jane Krakowski
Winner: Tina Fey - 30 Rock

CECIL B. DEMILLE AWARD TO STEVEN SPIELBERG
Presented by Martin Scorsese

FILM DIRECTOR
Presented by Dustin Hoffman and Emma Thompson
Winner: Danny Boyle - Slumdog Millionaire

FILM CLIP FOR “REVOLUTIONARY ROAD”
Introduced by Sigourney Weaver

FILM COMEDY ACTOR
Presented by Sandra Bullock
Winner: Colin Farrell - In Bruges

FILM CLIP FOR “VICKY CRISTINA BARCELONA”
Introduced by Salma Hayek

FILM COMEDY/MUSICAL
Presented by Sacha Baron Cohen
Winner: Vicky Cristina Barcelona

FILM CLIP FOR “SLUMDOG MILLIONAIRE”
Introduced by Shahrukh Khan and Freida Pinto

FILM DRAMA ACTRESS
Presented by Cameron Diaz and Mark Wahlberg
Winner: Kate Winslet - Revolutionary Road

TV DRAMA SERIES
Presented by Blake Lively and Rainn Wilson
Winner: Mad Men

FILM DRAMA ACTOR
Presented by Susan Sarandon
Winner: Mickey Rourke - The Wrestler

FILM DRAMA
Presented by Tom Cruise
Winner: Slumdog Millionaire

The HPFA are quite keen on Kate then, it seems. As I’ve seen The Reader nor Reservation Road, I can’t actually comment on the performances. I am quite a fan of hers, but I just would have liked to have seen some other performances win in one of the other two categories.

Also, Slumdog Millionaire seems to be a firm favourite of the HPFA; receiving their three most important awards – last year, though Atonement took Best film, Screenplay went to No Country for Old Men and Director went to The Diving Bell and the Butterfly, splitting the main prizes more evenly. Equally, in 2007, thought Babel took Best Film, Direction went to Scorsese for The Departed and Screenplay went to The Queen. It was only in 2006 that Film, Director and Screenplay all went to the same film. Guess which. (Hehehe, I mentioned that that on purpose.) Either way, I’m sure Slumdog Millionaire are celebrating –

Photobucket

Aside from that, there were no major surprises. I did better on the predictions than I thought I would – predicting Sally Hawkins and Colin Farrell were seriously just random bits of wishful thinking – although I am kind of sad for Alexandre Desplat. And does the Golden Globe win for Rourke now make him frontrunner ahead of Penn? Or was he frontrunner all along? Which reminds me, add this to your list of things you don't see everyday - Darren Aronofsky giving Mickey Rourke the middle finger.

Lastly, allow me to be a teensy bit jealous that the Jonas brothers presented Best Animated Film. Even though criticizing them makes me a big dirty hypocrite as I listen to their music (their covers of Busted’s What I Go to School For and Year 3000 are adorable), I just don’t think it’s right that they’re allowed to give an award to Wall-E, when they probably don’t love the film as much as me, and don’t understand how lovely that film is. Especially as one of the Jonas brothers is two years younger than me, peh.

Anyway, as I’m yet to see a good portion of the films (but don’t worry, I will), I don’t have anything else to say about the wins, so, photos from the night!

I’m not loving Sally Hawkins’ haircut, from some angles she looks like Daniel Day-Lewis; not good.

Photobucket

They’re gonna have a sexy time. (Mature, real mature of me.)
Photobucket

The cast of Mad Men;
Photobucket

Kate and Sam and her two awards:
Photobucket

The Slumdog Millionaire lot –
Photobucket

Colin Farrell
Photobucket

My nomination for worst dressed of the night: Glenn Close.

And this Ryan Seacrest fella from the US does bring some lulz, methinks. He called out to Angelina Jolie and Brad Pitt from the red carpet last night and they ignored him (watch here), and he later called her "cold" for not replying. I larfed like a bitch when I watched that vid. He's one of those, that think no one must dare miss them. lulz.

13 comments:

Besty said...

Mad Men winning Best TV Drama pleased me more than any of the film wins. I'm so blah about the films of this year.

monkey said...

not seen slumdog millionaire, but freida pinto is my latest girlcrush. wow wow wow

Anonymous said...

Rumer Willis is a hag.

Emma said...

@ Martin: yep, I kind of agree, I mean, I loved Wall-E and I'm yet to see many more, but on the whole, they've been films I've enjoyed and appreciated (Milk, Waltz with Bashir, Kung Fu Panda, Bigga than Ben), but nothing that's taken my breath away. That said, nothing's taken my breath away for real since 2006 and I saw BBM. :P

@ Sina: Aye, she's pretty alright, but she's not THAT amazing, is she? I would still pick Cheryl Cole & Leighton Meester as my no.1 girlcrushes. :D

@ Anon: Bit harsh! She's not that bad, I reckon.

anahita said...

am very very happy. yay for kate :D and I really really wanted leo to win, Im sure mickey rourke was very good but I just love leo :D

Emma said...

I love Leonardo DiCaprio too, he's my 4th favourite actor, after all! :D I'm starting to doubt he'll even get an Oscar nomination though, that SAG snub might come back to haunt him. Peh, I wish Brad would just not get nominated and then Leo can get nominated, attend the Oscars, and there can be more Kate/Leo love like there apparently was last night at the Globes!

Emma said...

(not that I've seen The Curious Case of Benjamin Button, mind. I'm just saying Brad because his spot is probably the easiest one to give away.)

Anonymous said...

Emma, you know how it's usual for last year's Supporting Actress to present Supporting Actor at the Oscars and vice versa? Do you think they'll make an exception this year and get Jake Gyllenhaal to present Best Supporting Actor?

Emma said...

Oh my bung, that would be beautiful! I'd actually cry! But nah, I don't think it'd happen, because it's kind of presemptuous; it's admitting Heath's won before the envelope's even opened. Lovely thought though.

ecrunner said...

As much as I want to comment on the winners and such, I have to say that the women were stunning in their dresses. It is my favorite part of these award shows. I wonder what they do after they are worn. They have to be worth so much more after they are worn. They make everything look picture perfect, it makes me envious.

RC said...

i love your little slumdog dance scene...perfect use of it too...

i'm sure there's a lot of slumdog millionaire dancing going on!

Farzan said...

Good winners. Surprised Penn didnt win Best Actor for Milk, that was such a great movie. Haven't seen The Wrestler, but everyone has been raving about it.

coffee said...

here i thought Mickey Rourke would never show up in public again, and there he was, winning big at the Golden Globes