Thursday, December 18, 2008

SAG Nomination Predictions

I remember this day; this day last year was my last day of the winter term at Sixth form! And how do I know this? Because it was SAG nominations on that Friday, as it is on this Thursday! Whee!

Anyway, I thought I’d take a more hands-on approach to predicting this year, in terms of actually, er… predicting things (especially as I have now seen Milk and Changeling [and also The Tale of Desperaux, but no-one cares about that], so I'm in a more respectable position to be making comments.)

So, with 5 hours to until the nominations are announced, here are my predictions:

Best Actor
Leonardo DiCaprio, Revolutionary Road
Clint Eastwood, Gran Torino
Richard Jenkins, The Visitor
Sean Penn, Milk
Mickey Rourke, The Wrestler
Sitting on the bench: Frank Langella, Frost/Nixon & Brad Pitt, The Curious Case of Benjamin Button

I’m going out there and predicting Eastwood ahead of Langella, just ‘cos I feel like it. (Incidentally, does Clint Eastwood ever sleep? Two films of his out this year, one of which he starred in, not to mention all that composing he does. What a guy!)

Best Actress
Anne Hathaway, Rachel Getting Married
Sally Hawkins, Happy-Go-Lucky
Angelina Jolie, Changeling
Meryl Streep, Doubt
Kate Winslet, Revolutionary Road
Sitting on the bench: Melissa Leo, Frozen River & Kristin Scott Thomas, I’ve Loved You So Long
I saw Changeling yesterday and whilst I didn’t think the movie was ~all that~ (sorry Clint!), Jolie herself was very impressive, and I thought she outdid her performance in A Mighty Heart, where she had the accent, the crappy hair and darkened complexion. Here, she’s more natural, and displays her character’s sanity even when it is repeatedly questioned.

I’ve also seen Sally Hawkins’ performance (lovely, my favourite female lead of the year) and Kristin Scott Thomas in I’ve Loved You So Long, which, despite being a bit Woodland Court-esque in its incessant smoking and rah middle-classness, Scott Thomas was wonderful, particularly in the scene where she’s explaining why she went to prison in her job application.

Best Supporting Actor
Josh Brolin, Milk
James Franco, Milk
Philip Seymour Hoffman, Doubt
Heath Ledger, The Dark Knight
Michael Shannon, Revolutionary Road
Sitting on the bench: Dev Patel, Slumdog Millionaire & Emile Hirsch, Milk

lispbung.

Er, yeah, I’m going all out for Milk, really. Saw it yesterday and it is easily one of the finest films of the year, and, whilst Penn is indeed the star man, the supporting performances were all excellent too. Hirsch and Brolin were better in the more conventional sense, but James Franco’s was my favourite supporting turn in the film. And no, it’s not just ‘cos he’s cute. :P

Best Supporting Actress
Amy Adams, Doubt
Penelope Cruz, Vicky Cristina Barcelona
Viola Davis, Doubt
Taraji P. Henson, The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
Marisa Tomei, The Wrestler
Sitting on the bench: Kate Winslet, The Reader & Rosemarie DeWitt, Rachel Getting Married

I HAVE JUST DOWNLOADED VICKY CRISTINA BARCELONA AND AM GONNA WATCH IT TODAY! YAY!

Anyway, I really want Lovely Amy Adams to get an SAG nomination, so I'm predicting her for one.

Best Ensemble Cast
Doubt
Milk
Revolutionary Road
Vicky Cristina Barcelona

The Wrestler
Sitting on the bench: The Curious Case of Benjamin Button & The Dark Knight

Milk is a wonderful movie. Doubt looks great, albeit stagey. Rachel Getting Married looks good but serious. Revolutionary Road reunites Kate and Leo. And… The Wrestler has that whiny Bruce Springsteen song.

Would love it if The Dark Knight got nominated, though.

--
In other news, my constant girl-crush Emily Blunt is dating John Krasinski, the fella that plays Jim in US’s The Office (the equivalent of Tim in the UK version.) D’aww. Here they are, so cosy together. He’d better not mess her about like Michael Buble did, or I’ll be round there, having words!


--
I shall be back to check how good/bad my predictions were!

9 comments:

anahita said...

oh you have vicky christina barcelona!!! how did you get it? do you use torrent? yeah, I've given up on not downloading films...I'm just desperate to have seen more than 2 films this year. milk is high on my list...as is doubt. need to find them somehow!! xxx

Besty said...

I take it you liked Milk? I thought Changeling was great, and I want to see Sean Penn pose in a photo with Clint Eastwood again this year.

Catherine said...

How did you see Milk?!?

I can't seen Jolie getting nominated, to be honest. Well, I don't want her to be, at least. In terms of her general celebrity, I'm a fan (Team Jolie all the way), but Changeling was just horrible. She wasn't bad in it - quite moving in certain scenes - but in no way was she better than her last year's performance in A Mighty Heart, a film she most definitely should've been rewarded for.

Kayleigh said...

Team Angelina/Kate/Heath all the way. I've been so bad for movies this year, lack of time and money gets to you. I would love to see Michael Sheen get nominated but I don't think it's going to happen over Langella. No win for Clint please! The academy and award big shots love him though...*sigh*

Emma said...

@ Anahita: here's the link for Vicky Cristina Barcelona, if you wanna download. It took my lappy about 10 minutes to download and it's worth the time!

Yeah, I know what you mean. I told myself I wasn't gonna do any downloading once I went to Uni, especially as it's only £2.50 to watch a film at the local arthouse cinema (£1.25 on Orange Wednesdays), but being a small cinema, they only showed the odd film that I wanted to see, so there was little choice but for me to do it! XD

@ Catherine: I saw Milk via download, link here.

@ Martin: you know what I want? Tim Robbins to appear in something Oscar-buzzed. He's still my favourite working actor of today, but the films he appears in are all kinda shoddy. :(

t.k said...

how was the tale of despereaux? i'm taking my sister to see it on saturday.

Emma said...

It was OK... not dislike how a crapper version of Ratatouielle would be like, plus, it had Emma Watson, which is bung. But as escapism, it did its job.

How are you, btw? ♥

monkey said...

can't believe i missed this first time -

"despite being a bit Woodland Court-esque in its incessant smoking and rah middle-classness"

i actually lolled

33 said...

AV,無碼,a片免費看,自拍貼圖,伊莉,微風論壇,成人聊天室,成人電影,成人文學,成人貼圖區,成人網站,一葉情貼圖片區,色情漫畫,言情小說,情色論壇,臺灣情色網,色情影片,色情,成人影城,080視訊聊天室,a片,A漫,h漫,麗的色遊戲,同志色教館,AV女優,SEX,咆哮小老鼠,85cc免費影片,正妹牆,ut聊天室,豆豆聊天室,聊天室,情色小說,aio,成人,微風成人,做愛,成人貼圖,18成人,嘟嘟成人網,aio交友愛情館,情色文學,色情小說,色情網站,情色,A片下載,嘟嘟情人色網,成人影片,成人圖片,成人文章,成人小說,成人漫畫,視訊聊天室,性愛,聊天室,情色,a片,AV女優