Wednesday, December 17, 2008

List of eligible songs for Best Song.

(with who would perform them in brackets)

Another Way To Die (Alicia Keys/Jack White) from Quantum Of Solace
Barking At The Moon (Jenny Lewis) from Bolt
The Boys Are Back (Corbin Bleu/Zac Efron) from High School Musical 3: Senior Year
Broken And Bent (Peter Salett) from Role Models
By The Boab Tree (Ophelia Of The Spirits) from Australia
The Call (Regina Spektor) from The Chronicles Of Narnia: Prince Caspian
Can I Have This Dance (Vanessa Hudgens/Zac Efron) from High School Musical 3: Senior Year
Chase The Morning (Sarah Brightman) from Repo! The Genetic Opera
Chromaggia (Sarah Brightman) from Repo! The Genetic Opera
The Code Of Life (N/A) from My Dream
Code Of Silence (N/A) from Save Me
Count On Me (Lucy Schwartz) from The Women
Di Notte from The Lodger
Djoyigbe (Angelique Kidjo and Blake Leyh) from Pray The Devil Back To Hell
Down To Earth (Peter Gabriel ) from Wall-E
Dracula’s Lament (Jason Segel) from Forgetting Sarah Marshall
Drive (N/A) from Fuel
Forever (N/A) from They Killed Sister Dorothy
High School Musical (High School Musical 3 Cast) from High School Musical 3: Senior Year
Gran Torino (Clint Eastwood) from Gran Torino
I Thought I Lost You (Miley Cyrus/John Travolta) from Bolt
I Want It All (Ashley Tisdale/Lucas Grabeel) from High School Musical 3: Senior Year
In Rodanthe (Emmylou Harris) from Nights In Rodanthe
It Ain’t Right(Etta James/Richie Sambora) from Dark Streets
Jai Ho (A R Rahman) from Slumdog Millionaire
Just Getting Started (Stan Carrizosla) from High School Musical 3: Senior Year
Just Wanna Be With You (High School Musical 3 Cast) from High School Musical 3: Senior Year
Little Person (Deanne Storey) from Synecdoche, New York
The Little Things (Danny Elfman) from Wanted
A Night To Remember (High School Musical 3 Cast) from High School Musical 3: Senior Year
Nothing But The Truth (Coby Jones) from Nothing But The Truth
Now Or Never (High School Musical 3 Cast) from High School Musical 3: Senior Year
O Saya (M.I.A.) from Slumdog Millionaire
Once In A Lifetime (Beyonce) from Cadillac Records
Right Here Right Now (Vanessa Hudgens/Zac Efron) from High School Musical 3: Senior Year
Right To Dream (Mariah Carey) from Tennesee
Rock Me Sexy Jesus (The Ralph Sall Experience/Phoebe Strole/Skylar Astin) from Hamlet 2
Scream (Zac Efron) from High School Musical 3: Senior Year
The Story (Norah Jones) from My Blueberry Nights
Sweet Ballad (Zooey Deschanel/Munchausen By Proxy/Von Iva) from Yes Man
Too Much Juice (Chaka Khan) from Dark Streets
The Traveling Song (Will.I.Am) from Madagascar: Escape 2 Africa
Trouble The Water (Black Kold Madina) from Trouble The Water
Up To Our Nex (Robyn Hitchcock) from Rachel Getting Married
Walk Away (Vanessa Hudgens) from High School Musical 3: Senior Year
Waterline (Mark Isham) from Pride And Glory
The Wrestler (Bruce Springsteen) from The Wrestler
Yes Man (Munchausen By Proxy/Zooey Deschanel/Von Iva) from Yes Man
Zydrate Anatomy (Terrance Zdunich/Paris Hilton/Alexa Vega) from Repo! The Genetic Opera


Reaction
Well, first and foremost, Another way to Die better not get anywhere near the oscars; it's one of the biggest crimes against music that I've ever heard, again, living proof that you can bung two talented performers together, but that doesn't equate success. I'm with Mark Kermode on this one; the latest Bond theme is awful.

My personal five would be: The Call, Now or Never, O Saya, Down to Earth and In Rodanthe. This is because:
- Regina Spektor is amazing, and The Call is actually a pretty awesome song, even if, as my friend JP said, "it didn't fit in with the film at all", which is kinda the aim of the song, but whatevs. It's a mellow, deep and really lovely song.
- Hear me out. I know Now or Never's from HSM3, and not just that, but it's the uber-cheesy song in which Vanessa bunging Hudgens incongruously stands up in the middle of a B-B game and serenades Zac Efron, but it's a really catchy song nonetheless, and according my iTunes, I've listened to it 15 times. So there.
- O Saya is an awesome song. I'm really loving the Gamalan vibes in it. And of course, I just wanna see M.I.A. at the Oscars, because she's a bunging Goddess!
- Down to Earth was played in Wall.E. 'Nuff said.
- I'd also like to see Emmylou Harris at the Oscars, so I'd like her In Rodanthe to get nominated too.

I'm all musicy now! Yay!

8 comments:

anahita said...

I got quite into another way to die during the film, but I do agree, in no way oscar worthy, and not really a bond song either. I've heard like none of these...well, I liked down to earth and I hope it makes final 5. It's just the sort of song that would. If High School Musical gets anywhere near the oscars I will cry. and it would be fabulous if clint eastwood got up and sung during the oscars, so I will definitely be backing that xxx

Catherine said...

I'm rooting for "I Want It All" from HSM 3. According to my mp3 player, I've listened to it 56 times so far. Um, yeah.

Emma said...

I adore the sequence in HSM3 with Ryan and Sharpay in which they dance to "I Want it All". One of the best scenes of the entire series.

Kayleigh said...

I don't mind the QoS theme, it's half a good song, half Alicia Keys wailing "BANG!" like her life depended on it. Not deserving of a nomination though. I want to see Zooey get a nomination because her music is great and her voice is very relaxing. The soundtrack to Repo is brilliantly OTT too and it would be cool to see it nominated, as long as it isn't one of the songs Paris Hilton sings! She's not bad but it's the basic principle.

Farzan said...

Another way to Die is a horrible horrible song. The worst Bond song I have ever heard. Yes, its worse than the Die Another Day theme.

alxvon said...

definately 'the call' or 'o... saya'.
pretty much both amazing.
AND, you didn't mention, 'Lucy' by Hanne Hukkelberg also from Narnia.
it's effin' amazing.

Anonymous said...

It's too bad no one knows My Blueberry Nights because "The Story" is certainly deserving of a nomination at least.

Taherimro said...

I adore the sequence in HSM3 with Ryan and Sharpay in which they dance to "I Want it All". One of the best scenes of the entire series.