Friday, June 13, 2008

Nice guys don’t always finish last.

BBC’s The Apprentice is about 16 contestants who all vie to Sir Alan Sugar’s apprentice. In season four, we had a weird and wonderful range of characters, from “zany” business analyst Lucinda Ledgerwood, to beleaguered loudmouth Claire Young, the two bitches Jenny Celerier and Jennifer Maguire, debonair knight in shining armour Raef Bjayou, self-proclaimed arrogant and backstabbing Michael Sophocles, and Matt Lucas-look-alike Kevin Shaw. But it was ultimately Lee McQueen, a 30-year-old Recruitment Manager Lee McQueen who won it, and I’m really glad he did.

That's what I'm talkin' about.

In a show rife with boardroom backstabbing and underhandedness, Lee was one of the few likable, genuine characters on the show. There have been a fair few toffs on the show (indeed, last year’s winner was a posh lad), but Lee was anything but. A bit inarticulate and shouty, he coined the show’s biggest catchphrase of the year – “That’s what I’m talkin’ about!” and said it just about every other minute. From time to time he would make me cringe for various reasons, from his absolutely ridiculous suggestions (for a greeting card, he came up with the idea of Alien Day), to his questionable spelling, and his CV debacle, on which he lied about attending a course for two years when it was really just four months, but overall, I really liked the guy. I liked his enthusiasm, I liked his sense of humour, and I liked his heart, which must surely have been made of gold.

So yeah. Go Lee!

Did any of you watch The Apprentice? What did you think of it?

19 comments:

Besty said...

Did not have you down as a The Apprentice fan. You kept that one quiet.

Good show, tho I think the working world won't be anything like that

And Clare deserved to win!

anahita said...

yup I watched it. I don't mind the fact that he won, I liked him and all, but I was rooting for claire. however, he deserved it too

Emma said...

I only started watching it since about week 5, but I've been addicted!! I loved Raef so much! He was my favourite, then Lee, and possibly Lucinda.

Who were your favourites, you two?

Anonymous said...

That bloody phrase is one of the most annoying in the world. Claire deserved to win by a mile, the only reason Lee got it was because Sir Alan knew Claire would get work elsewhere.

That said, amazing season.

monkey said...

i was in a bit of a catch-22 situation with the final because i thought alex was a snake, helen bored the life out of me and lee was a rambling spurs supporter. only claire deserved to go on and win it (though raef shouldn't have been fired when he did)

monkey said...

i was in a bit of a catch-22 situation with the final because i thought alex was a snake, helen bored the life out of me and lee was a rambling spurs supporter. only claire deserved to go on and win it (though raef shouldn't have been fired when he did)

Emma said...

I knew that would be brought up at some time!

Did you see the look on his face when he was telling Sralan that he supported Spurs? It was almost reverential, because he totally knew that Sir Alan had owned the club.

Raef was lovely.

monkey said...

did you see the italy-romania match?

i really wanted romania to win. still hate italy. they were lucky with that saved pen

Emma said...

I did actually. It was amazing!

Yeah, Romania were unlucky, though you could argue that Toni's goal was onside, so a draw would have been a fair result.

Looks like Netherlands are going through. I ♥ Arjen Robben, but feck me, Edwin Van der Sar, Dirk Kuyt, Ruud van Nisterooy on one team? Yuck.

monkey said...

germany need to get a draw on monday. i won't be happy with a draw.

good tournament so far, ait?

monkey said...

lulz at holland-france

monkey said...

ps. michael ruins your display pic

Catherine said...

I so wanted Lucinda to win. She was AMAZING.

But yeah, Lee seemed like a genuinely nice guy.

Emma said...

Yeah, I was really disappointed when Lucinda got fired on the interview week. I would so much rather Alex or Helen went.

Lucinda was so individual and different. She rocked.

Catherine said...

I despised Alex. Twat.

Is it weird that I have the tiniest crush on Sir Alan? He's like a teddy bear!

Emma said...

I know, he was so two-faced and sneaky, not to mention completely in love with himself. I actually smiled a little bit when they showed that shot of him crying at then end.

Sir Alan is so cool! I don't fancy him myself but he has such an amusing personality, and said some of the funniest things ever.

Daire said...

I wanted Lee to win, up until he took the head off Zara after she didn't get fired. Raef or Simon deserved to win.

Nicholas DeLacey-Brown should've been kept longer than the first week too.

Anonymous said...

Nike Air Max Cheap Nike Air Max Cheap shoes
|Cheap Nike Free cheap nike free run shoes Australia
|Women Nike free run womens nike free run shoes
||Nike Air Max 2009 sale nike air max 2009 shoes sale
|Nike Air Max TN Sale Nike Air Max TN Sale
|Nike Air Max tailwind Sale Nike Air Max tailwind Sale
|Nike Air Max 2009 Cheap Nike Air Max 2009 Cheap
|Nike Air Max 95 cheap Nike Air Max 95 cheap
|Nike Air Max 97 Cheap Nike Air Max 97 Cheap
|Nike Air Max cheap Nike Air Max cheap

Gary Concave said...

That bloody phrase is one of the most annoying in the world. Claire deserved to win by a mile, the only reason Lee got it was because Sir Alan knew Claire would get work elsewhere. That said, amazing season.