Tuesday, June 17, 2008

A Book A Day...

The Lovely Bones.


I was so busy celebrating the end of the exams that I nearly forgot to read, which would have been quite a crap way to start the “A book a day” campaign!

Anyway. Today, I opted for a book I’ve read before and didn’t love – critical darling The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold - to see whether my opinion of it would change in time for the 2009 release of the Peter Jackson directed film.

Right, well, where to start? Loved the cover picture, of the charm bracelet, hated just about everything else. The premise was fairly OK – dead girl caught in limbo between earth and heaven and looking down, but the execution just didn’t carry off. I didn’t like the detached writing style (though I do think it suited the novel), I wasn’t able to sympathise for any of the characters (I wasn’t convinced by some of the character’s “grief” – a mother that cheats following her daughter’s death is a little too pat, imo), and most of all, I got a really horrible feeling that Sebold took a grim sort of pleasure in describing Susie’s rape and murder, as well all of the other murder victims. She just kept going into all the detail, whilst trying to write in this classy way. Eww. Some critics said it was beautiful and uplifting, and whilst I wasn’t depressed by it or anything, it was definitely anything but beautiful. Rather, I thought it was kinda self-indulgent and turgid. Overall, I just thought it was a bit of a waste of time.

Saoirse Ronan says she hasn’t read the book yet. Let’s hope it stays that way.
The verdict:
Bung.

^^ that was a naff review, I know, but I really do feel it was quite a naff book. I was “meh” following my first reading of it, but now I really dislike it.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think she is kind of obsessed with rape - see Lucky.

Just a girl said...

Maybe that's because she was raped?

Interesting review, but hardly makes you want to read the book! I've heard only good things about the book - I remember starting to read it in yr 9, but never finished - shall have to see for myself, I suppose. I heard her second book - Almost Moon - isn't as good as the first.

x
JAG

Kayleigh said...

I didn't like the book either, it's so dull and deathly slow. Nothing happens! There's a great premise there and I feel the film will be visually stunning if it's done well by Jackson. Saoirse is going to be great, I'm hoping for a 2nd Oscar nom.

anahit said...

ew. yeah, I'm not planning to see the book or film tbh. I love saoirse, but seeing her set upon isn't really gonna be fun. I dunno, depends how graphic they make it though.

are you gonna watch the edge of love, emma? I really wanna see that!!!

Emma said...

Yep - Agatha Christie and Haz Potter rule. The Lovely Bones was boring, and, quite frankly, borderline paedophilic.