Friday, May 02, 2008

The American Cool Teens Annoying-o-Meter

just a girl's post on Miley Cyrus got me thinking about just how much I dislike those manufactured, over-smiley American “actresses” who try to do everything from act to sing to model, and do everything poorly.

So I decided to rank them, from my least despised, to most despised.

The good
- Blake Lively
She’s probably too old to be considered in this category, but the first film I saw with Blake Lively was The Sisterhood of the Travelling Pants, where she played a teenager. I’ve mainly seen Lively in TV’s Gossip Girl, where she plays Serena to perfection; obviously, she’s a little different from the book’s version of her character, but she totally shines and is the perfect foil to Leighton Meester’s more catty Blair.

- Amanda Bynes
She’s not the world’s most talented actress, but in just about everything I’ve seen her in, she’s been watchable and sometimes even likeable

- Alison Pill

The acceptable
- Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen
Neither of these two have screen charisma or talent (let’s face it, they only became famous because their parents propelled them into fame early), but I used to watch “So Little Time” religiously. It was quite a sweet show. So, for that, I don’t hate the twins.


- Mischa Barton
She's OK, I guess.

The terrible
- Miley Cyrus
There’s just no point to her.

- Lindsay Lohan
She’s actually quite a good actress – Mean Girls, Bobby, etc, but LiLo just keeps throwing away any good qualities she has and just going on bingedrinking parties and slumming it in North London with Callum Best. Not the best way to behave when you claim to want a career.

- Hilary Duff
Her surname says it all. Everytime I see Lizzie McGuire on the TV, I just want to throw something at someone. She’s the cheesiest, blandest actress ever. I loathe her.

- Emma Watson
I know she’s not American but… I couldn’t resist.

11 comments:

anahita said...

awww, come on emma, leave emma watson alone! she really seems quite sweet! :P

what about alexis bledel (?? you know what I mean...) she's not too bad.

the misomaniac said...

" Lindsay Lohan
She’s actually quite a good actress "
WHAT?! WHAT?! WHAT?!

case in point, "i know who killed me"?!?!?!?!!? AAAARRRRRRGHHHHHHHHHHH

p.s. i think putting emma watson up there is fully justifiable. she's so terrible that she's probably secretly american.

the misomaniac said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Marcy said...

Maybe Alison Pill doesn't have the typical "look" for the superficial aspects of the film industry, but she is undeniably one of the best young actresses working today. She was excellent in Pieces of April and Confessions of a Teenage Drama Queen.

Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen were bearable little kids, like in the charming It Takes Two or episodes of "Full House" but they've been out of the acting spotlight for too long for me to even care anymore.

I still stand by my belief that Lindsay Lohan is a wonderful actress, but she really has to stop destroying her own image.

Kayleigh said...

The sad thing is Lindsay Lohan can actually act, but her druggy, unreliable mess of a reputation preceeds her and no-one is willing to cast her in a challenging project to give her a chance.
I also hate Miley Cyrus. Can you believe she's gonna be a billionaire by 21? Sickening. And the whole Vanity Fair picture stuff is stupid - she's not stupid so how could she possibly think it would be a good idea?

Martín said...

I think Amanda Bynes is really good. She's a great comedian, and physical comedy is not something you see a lot with young women...

Lohan is really good too, but she's doing everything in her power to have her career destroyed.

Emma Watson? Seriously? I don't get all that hate. Never will.

Just a girl said...

Flattered to inspire you, Emma!

I love Blake Lively and Amanda Bynes. I just watched Hairspray, and Amanda played her innocent role with conviction and enthusiasm. Blake Lively is just terrific as Serena.

Eh. I have mixed feelings about Mischa. She could be really painful sometimes in the OC.

As for Lindsay; I do think she can act - hello, Mean Girls?! - but she's let her career slide not only with movie choies - such as I Know Who Killed Me - but with her offscreen life, which is basically in the gutter. If she cleaned her act up, she could be really good/worth watching.

Hilary Duff = Miley Cyrus = tweeny, try-hard "stars" = cringe, shudder and vomit.

x
JAG

Anonymous said...

Lindsay Lohan might be talented if she didn't do this all the time:

http://g.photos.cx/lindsay-lohan-drunk-e2.JPG

edward said...

Hilary Duff = Miley Cyrus

edward said...

I have mixed feelings about Mischa. She could be really painful sometimes in the OC



http://yourfreemoviedownloads.com

Anonymous said...

Alexis Bledel sucks! Her voice is annoying and she's a godawful actress. Even I could do better! She just looks like she's trying too hard and nothing seems to sound "natural" with her.