Sunday, February 10, 2008

Banana skit.

Bung.

I’m out for the rest of the day so I may not get to watch the BAFTAs live (no worry – have taped it). I originally considered going to stand outside the Royal Opera House to try and get James and Saoirse to sign autographs, take photos etc but then I made other plans. Hehe.

My quick BAFTA predictions then: -

Film: No Country for Old Men
British film: This is England
I know it would make sense to reward Atonement for this, but BAFTA have a slightly bizarre tendency to award a film that's not nominated for Best film in this category. They have a different voting group, I think.

Actor: Day Lewis
Actress: Julie Christie
Supporting Actor: Javier Bardem

How did Casey Affleck not even got nominated for this? I finally saw Jesse James this week and he was sensational, possibly the best performance of 2007! Also, he was lead, and although I can see why the studio pushed him supporting for Oscars, I would have thought BAFTAs would have more sense to dub him lead. Then again, they’re fairly bizarre – they said Rachel Weisz in The Constant Gardener was lead and Jake Gyllenhaal in Brokeback Mountain was supporting. Not that I’m complaining, because it meant Jake won. Whoops, serious tangent.

Supporting Actress: Saoirse Ronan
I predicted Emily Blunt would win the BAFTA for this last year, and I was wrong to be have such blind faith. Naturally, I’m predicting for my favourite to win it again this year. I just have to see her win something this awards season, she was too good to ignore!

Direction: Coens
O. Screenplay: Juno
A Screenplay: The Diving Bell and the Butterfly
No clue, random bunged guesses...
Cinematography: Atonement
Editing: No Country for Old Men
Production Design: Harry Potter
Costume Design: Atonement
Film Music: Atonement
Make Up/Hair: Sweeney Todd
Sound: There Will be Blood
VFX: Bourne
Foreign Film: The Lives of Others
Animated Film: Ratatouille
Rising Star: Ellen Page

At the end of the day…
I expect to see No Country for Old Men take the main ones, with a few random surprises bunged it. I would love more than anything to see James McAvoy win actor, but, having watched There Will Be Blood this week I can see why people would want to reward Day-Lewis, he was immense. And The Assassination of Jesse James was snubbed for a lot, chiefly the cinematography and Casey Affleck.

4 comments:

Adele said...

cool predictions your probably right
ill be deffently watching tonight :)

Anonymous said...

I'm with your for the Saoirse hope.

Besty said...

"but then I made other plans"

I hope those plans didn't involve sitting inside Stamford Bridge for two hours, watching neither Chelsea nor Crouch score, Emma.

Kayleigh said...

Casey was fantastic! I guess he's supporting because Bob Ford came 2nd in the film title, and Brad Pitt produced the film. Overall the film has been criminally snubbed by the awards shows. I'm going for Saoirse too and I'm hoping the British vote swings it for her.