Tuesday, January 22, 2008

I love today.

The Oscar nominations in full.

My initial reaction is delight that Atonement got in. Though part of me knows that NCFOM is a better film and wants to root for that throughout the Oscars, the other part of me is telling myself to stop being such a glory hunter and go root for Atonement, a film I've been going on about since I first saw it in August. I'm disappointed for Joe Wright (I thought he did a better directing job that Reitman on Juno and way better than Tom Gilroy for Michael Clayton), and very upset for James McAvoy, the relief that a) Keira didn't get nominated and b) Saoirse did more than makes up for that. My non-stop campaiging for her has paid off! And I thank my friend Hannah for drawing this picture; I honestly think it was this gorgeous drawing that clinched it for the Oscar voters. :-)


Elsewhere, I'm just counting the shocks. One of the biggest travesties is that Norbit is now an Oscar nominated movie. Eeep. The Simpsons Movie, on the other hand, was cruelly snubbed in favour of Surf's Up. (eh). But Laura Linney! We'd all feared that her chances were gone, but yay for her!

Anyway, bell's gone. Shall update later.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

No Jolie!

WatchingStar said...

Norbit? Oscars? What the.....???

Anonymous said...

Knightley and Hirsch were snubbed!

Kayleigh said...

Cheers for Saoirse! (tell your friend her drawing is lovely.)
I'm so happy she got the nomination, especially above Keira. She was not Oscar calibre! The field is pretty wide open this year, it's nowhere near as predictable as last year's show. Now I just have to con my dad into subscribing to Sky Movies so I can watch the live show!

anahita said...

I'm a bit...hmmn, well, I've gone into detail on my blog, but I'm not all that chuffed, tbh. There are some really good parts, but NORBIT??? And no lust, caution...hmmn...and I have a feeling that Atonement is going to only come away with one award in art direction or something :( everyone's rooting for NCfOM...argghh, annoyance. But saoirse got in!! :)

Emma said...

I will be sad if Atonement walks away with just Score (which it like, must. Otherwise there will be blood.)

But I will be Team Atonement. I've decided. :)

Monkey said...

ahat picture... is breathtaking.

as someone who wants to go to art college, i feel humbled

Michael Parsons said...

So happy for the film. So sad for James and Keira. Cate Blanchett.....REALLY?

Anonymous said...

that is a facking good picture, Emma! you're friend draws like you write.