Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Non, je ne regrette rien...

might be Edith Piaf's line, but I definitely regret an awful lot.
What’s Hot and What’s Not.

HOT

- I knew BAFTA wouldn't let me down. Saoirse + James + Ellen are love.
- Rapunzel, as part of BBC’s Modern Day Fairytales thingy. Very funny and sweet, though the Russian accents were beyond questionable.
- Roger Deakins. He could well bag himself double Oscar nominations for his camerawork in The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford and No Country for Old Men. This reminds me a bit of his mastery in 1994, where, although he didn’t received double nominations, he did the cinematography to two beautiful movies –The Shawshank Redemption and The Hudsucker Proxy.
- BBC’s adaptation of Sense & Sensibility, which is giving Ang Lee’s 1995 version a run for its money in the best adaptation stakes. The cinematography was stunning, kind of like in Joe Wright’s Pride & Prejudice, but with even better use of colours and images. The acting is pretty good; Charity Wakefield was a teensy bit annoying and Dominic Cooper (one of the students aspiring for Oxbridge in The History Boys) didn’t do enough for us to hate him, but the rest of the cast are fine. However, the part that resonated with me the most was Elinor, speaking about Edward, and his engagement to Lucy, said something like, “although I have not shown it, I have been very, very unhappy” which I found very human and deep. All in all, a lovely mini-series.
- The song “Mr Big Stuff” by Aretha Franklin. Very catch.

- The song "Best of My love" by The Supremes. Also very catchy.

- The Once soundtrack.
- I’ve been put back into my place by certain events this month, and as a result, in lessons, I’m a bit muter. But that’s good, because I’m learning more.

NOT
- My sheer pig-headed stupidity. I skipped assembly yesterday to finish the book I was reading, and I would have gotten away with it, had I not shouted “How was assembly?” to one of my friends, only to discover that the Head of Sixth was coming up the stairs behind her. Bus-ted.
- Too many tests. We have a Statistics one on Friday and a double bill – Mechanics and Pure next week. Am quite scared.
- Headaches from over-working.
- The Zummering pieces we’re doing at orchestra. This term, we’re playing Peterloo from Malcolm Arnold (with a percussion part so OTT it wouldn’t be out of place in Saving Private Ryan) and Symphony No. 9 by Shostakovitch (he was apparently locked up as the piece wasn’t patriotic enough; I think he should be locked up for offences to music). They are not only difficult to play, but they don’t even sound nice.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

lol bad luck in getting caught emma!

Sense and Sensibility was great, the casting was perfect.

Anonymous said...

the goods about bafta:
- Blanchett double
- No love for Diving Bell and Butterfly (seriously emma, don't bother)
- Atonement and The Lives of Others

bad:
- Sweeney Todd snub!

anahita said...

you know what's hot? FOURTEEN nominations for Atonement. That, Kite Runner and Lives of Others are my favourites.

bloguay.com/mueblesmadrid294 said...

Oh my god, there's so much useful material in this post!