Wednesday, January 23, 2008

The Debutantes.

A kiss is just a kiss.





First time Oscar nominees that I’m happiest about:
- Saoirse Ronan. Obvs. She’s like, the Ivana Baquero of 2007. Her blue eyes terrified me. Seems like a lovely girl too. When I’ve graduated from Uni and earnt enough money to make my own film, I’m casting her in the lead!
- Ellen Page. In the same sense as Saoirse, wonderfully talented, and seems like such a balanced girl. Not Lohanesque or Duffesque in the slightest. Her Juno was a such a terrific character and performance, she's my favourite of the five nominees.
(Two out of the three women I touted for world domination got Oscar nominated. Yay! Am sad for Amy, but at least she'll get to sing at the ceremony!)

- Michael Giacchino. Whilst the Ratatouille: 5, The Simpsons Movie: 0 scoreline infuriates me no end (especially as Finding Nemo, one of my top 20 films of all time has 1 less nomination than Ratatouille), his nomination for score was very well-deserved, and OVERDUE! He deserved to get nominated for The Incredibles and Mission Impossible III, and his work on Lost was very good too.
- Sarah Polley. I always thought she’d get nominated for her acting, but this indie chick is multitalented.
- Casey Affleck. Even though I saw Ocean’s 13 over the Christmas period and my immediate reaction to that was thinking that Clooney and Affleck should not be allowed near the Oscar ceremony, and even though I haven’t actually seen the Jesse James movie, there’s something about this actor that I really like.

And am I the only one who's really apathetic about the Lead Actory category? Without James McAvoy, I just feel like I don't care. Bah.

Thinking about it, actually, 2007 was a really good year for independent film. The two films with the most nominations [8], NCFOM and There Will Be Blood, are indies, Juno's an indie, Michael Clayton has shades of indie, and in an interview I saw, Joe Wright referred to Atonement as an independent film too. Plus, there's Into the Wild, The Diving Bell and the Butterfly, etc, none of which are particularly mainstream.

Yay for independent film! [But not Lost in Translation. Never.]

13 comments:

anahita said...

I'm rooting for Saoirse the whole way, some people probably think that she was just a child doin the best she could, and that she can never measure up to Cate or whatever. But, excuse me, she set the ENTIRE tone of the first third of Atonement. She was fabulous.

Still pissy about James and Keira (:P) though

Anonymous said...

Cotillard and the other Coen bro.

Kayleigh said...

The lead actor category is more surprising than I thought it would be - did not see Tommy Lee Jones getting in - but I don't really root for anyone in it. At a push, it's Johnny but that's based on his back catelogue. I'd easily swap Tommy for James.
Casey Affleck is awesome in Jesse James. He's had a great year with 3 films and his wife just had another baby, so I'm really happy he's getting recognition. So are you Team Ellen, Saoirse and Casey? Those are 3 of mine...

Emma said...

Those are indeed my teams! For actor I'll probably go with whoever I feel like on the day, and I'm rooting for Coens in the director category. Still undecided about Film though.

anahita said...

I'm definately decided about film. I understan that the others are probably better, but atonement really affected me, I think it was fantastic. I'm team Ellen, Saoirse, Johhny and Atonement :D

Kayleigh said...

Hehe the 3 of us seem to be rooting for the same teams. This calls for a special FYC. I wish I knew how to blend images...

Reel Fanatic said...

Both Saoirse and Ellen were indeed fantastic ... As regards to "indies," I saw this dingbat TV reporter "analysing" the Oscar nominations, and she actually said something like "Although I guess you can't really call "Juno" an indie since it's made $77 million at the box office" ... I know there are a lot of idiots on TV, but that one just astounded me in its stupidity

Anonymous said...

first time visitor. good article/blog. if you see there will be blood, you won't/shouldn't be apathetic about best actor. james was just great but daniel wipes the floor with him, as he does with most performances.

also do you do anything else but snidely insult lost in translation? just asking.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, you stupid bitch, Lost in Translation is the masterpiece you could never make. If you tried to make a film, Emma, it would just be some Mickey Mouse bullshit about Cambridge and Peter Crouch. Sorry to break it to you honey but no-one gives a shit.

anahita said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
anahita said...

And you think we give a shit what YOU think? At least some of us don't go around taking our apparant bitterness out on other people, "honey".

Emma said...

Thanks Anahita. I love losers who spend their precious time reading my blog just to tell me how little they think of it.

Anonymous said...

Seeing as you're knowledgable in all things Saoirse - do you know if Saoirse Ronan has a sister?