Monday, January 28, 2008

All that she wants is another baby.

Screening log for (22/01/08 – 28/01/08)

Waiting for Happiness (Abderrahmane Sissako, 2002)
I waited and waited, but little happiness came from watching this film. It was slow, bleak and kind of meandering. The story – about a teenager who stops off in the unknown land of Nouhadhibou and doesn’t fit in is full of beautiful cinematography and imagery, as well as some fairly interesting supporting characters (the little boy obsessed with light bulbs was really cute), but overall, I just found it kind of boring. C.

Match Point (Woody Allen, 2005)
Despite the fact that Scarlett Johansson’s in it, I actually thought it was quite a good film! Jonathan Rhys-Meyers and Matthew Goode are so handsome and the former gives an impressive performance in one of Allen’s darkest films that draws on his Dostoevsky interests in an engrossing tale of how luck means more than integrity in our world today. Filmed in London with a slightly rose-tinted look at our capital city and an array of excellent supporting performances (including a great cameo at the end by James Nesbitt), Scarlett doesn’t annoy me as much as usual, plus, she gets what she deserves. What’s not to enjoy? (Apart from the pretentious opera score. Yawn). B+

Hannah and Her Sisters (Woody Allen, 1986)
Hannah and Her Sisters is one of Allen’s most famous (and in my opinion, satisfying) dramadies, following a group of people that link back to three sisters – Hannah, Lee and Holly. Apparently a lot of this movie was influenced by events in real life, with the plot turns about the tumour scare having really happened to the director. As a result, it’s a probing look at fidelity, love and sibling rivalry. Michael Caine, who won an Oscar for his role, didn’t actually impress me that much. I preferred Woody Allen, who was at his neurotic, hypochondriac best. Mia Farrow also put in a moving performance. A really sweet and entertaining comedy drama about the importance of families. A-

Sweeney Todd (Tim Burton, 2007)
Tim Burton’s demented horror musical starts with a bang – a grisly opening sequence that absolutely demands your attention – and then it never really 100% delivers. Don’t get me wrong, I enjoyed it a lot – Bonham Carter was terrific, and Depp, though striking a few weak notes when singing, was very scary as the vengeful barber back to get revenge on Alan Rickman, but I was never really scared. Costumes, set design and cinematography are all the intricate beauties you’d expect from a Burton film and the blood and gore really makes you squirm so overall, it’s an entertaining 120 minutes. B

Carmen (Carlos Saura, 1983)
This film contained terrific sequences of Spanish guitar playing and dancing but then when it came to the romance, it fell completely flat. The two leads had very little chemistry aside from when they were dancing together and hence the core of the film really suffered. Nonetheless, it was still an interesting look at how life can imitate art. B-


And that's it from me.
Photobucket

8 comments:

Art said...

I really want to see Sweeney Todd. It looks interesting. A "B" isn't all that bad;)

Kayleigh said...

One of my freinds saw Sweeney Todd and said it fell a bit flat, she liked Helena Bonham Carter more than Johnny Depp.
Hannah And Her Sisters has Dianne Weist in it, automatically making it fab!

Besty said...

Nice pic at the end. :p

Did you see who I've got to play in the FA Cup?

Emma said...

Yeah, I saw.

And I'm very pleased. Now only one of my least favourite teams will be in the QF.

Haha!

Besty said...

Whereas you buy yourself an easy draw.

btw, Robbie Keane?

Emma!

Monkey said...

Robbie Keane is a twatty dwarf.

Monkey said...

you should go to LSE, Emma, I heard from my teacher that LSE graduates get paid the most.

Emma said...

My God, you two need lives! Staying up past midnight just to hound me for fancying a Tottenham player on my blog? :p

He is beyond lovely.