Thursday, December 20, 2007

Screen Actor Guild Nominees announced today.

And I'm ruddy thankful about that too, I need a bit of Awards season buzz to cheer me up. School's ended today and it's just really hit me that this is the last Christmas I'll be spending with my school before I go to Uni next year. Also, although Chelsea beat Liverpool last night, which pleased me, guess who got sent off? Yup, it can only be Crouchie. Bah. Leave Pool, Crouchie, please! They're no good for you.

Anyway, my predictions:
BEST ACTOR
George Clooney, Michael Clayton
Daniel Day Lewis, There Will Be Blood
Johnny Depp, Sweeney Todd
James McAvoy, Atonement
Ryan Gosling, Lars and the Real Girls

(Denzel Washington for American Gangster was really close to making it, but in the end I just guessed that the performance may be too generic, the film to mainstream, for the SAGs.)

BEST ACTRESS
Amy Adams, Enchanted
Julie Christie, Away from Her
Marion Cotillard, La Vie en Rose
Laura Linney, The Savages
Ellen Page, Juno

(I know predicting Amy for Enchanted is a slightly long shot, but I really will just feel even more depressed if Keira gets nominated for Atonement. An Amy Adams nod would be just what I need to banish those post-Carol service blues.)

BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR
Casey Affleck, The Assassination of Jesse James
Javier Bardem, No Country for Old Men
Hal Holbrook, Into the Wild
Tommy Lee Jones, No Country for Old Men
Tom Wilkinson, Michael Clayton

(I'm quite sure about this category. I expect it to look like this come Oscar nomination day too.)

BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS
Cate Blanchett, I'm Not There
Catherine Keener, Into the Wild
Saoirse Ronan, Atonement
Amy Ryan, Gone Baby Gone
Tilda Swinton, Michael Clayton

(Saoirse is now by far the clearest of the Ronan/Garai/Redgrave trio to get a nomination, if any. The rest, I'm quite sure about too.)

BEST ENSEMBLE
Atonement
Charlie Wilson's War
Juno
No Country for Old Men
There Will Be Blood

(A bit of random guesswork here.)

6 comments:

Besty said...

Crouch's sending off was deserved. He even pass, let alone tackle

Looks like it's a you vs me final Emma.

And Best Supporting Actor predictions are spot-on.

Emma said...

Ah, typical Crouchie-dissing. It can only be you, Martin.

First of all, I'm glad we won. I probably didn't make that clear in this post, I am happy though. Sheva scored a stunner.

But onto the real talking point - Crouchie's sending off. The irony is not lost on me that my favourite player got sent off playing against my favourite team. And he deserved to get sent off, that tackle was awful; the timing was wrong, it was two-footed, and the intent was obvious. I was shocked when I saw it because it really is quite out of character of Crouchie, who's usually such a clean player. It was a clear-cut red in my opinion, and I'm grateful that Mikel wasn't seriously injured.

I put it down to frutration, though. Mikel and Carvalho (amongst others) had been pestering Crouchie all night. And then there's the fact that he hasn't been getting the starts that he deserves, so when he does get a start, any time he squanders his goal-scoring chances will add to his annoyance. As someone said, he's fallen far behind the Liverpool strikers' pecking order, behind Torres, and hilariously, behind Kuyt and Vorinin.

I'm not condoning Crouchie's behaviour, I'm still very annoyed at him and pleased that we won (deservedly) as a result of his sending-off, but I can't help feeling sorry for the bloke too. All I want for Christmas is for him to get a transfer to a team which will cherish him, play him when he should be played, and then hopefully the sort of diva-ish behaviour that occured at the Bridge last night won't happen again. Please, Crouchie, move to the City of Manchester Stadium! The Eastlands beckons, honestly, it does!

Yup, Arsenal V. Chelsea final does seem to be the obvious thing to predict.

Besty said...

Yes, except we'll win this time.

Emma said...

No you won't.

Besty said...

Seeing as you touted Crouch to finish as the top scorer in the Premiership this season, I can only take it as a good sign that you forecast an Arsenal win

Emma said...

Gah.