Saturday, December 01, 2007

Listen to the Girls, as They Take on Half the World.

Whenever I express my disdain for Emma Watson or Scarlett Johansson, the fanboys’ intrinsic rebuttal seems to always be “Just because you’re jealous of their fame, talent and beauty.” Um? If I wanted to envy an actress for possessing beauty and talent, I could have lots to choose from, and neither of those two are in there! For examples of actresses who I would pick, I thought I’d do a tribute to three actresses who are gonna be big come awards time (I hope, at least), Ellen Page, Saoirse Ronan and Amy Adams.

Canadian actress Ellen Page can balance big-screen blockbusters (her Click on the image for the full-size wallpaper, she's lovely isn't she?most mainstream film is 2006’s X-Men III, and upcoming arty puberty pic The Tracey Fragments, but she is perhaps best known for her head-turning performance as 14-year-old Hayley in Hard Candy, a shocking morality tale about a 14-year-old girl who sets about uncovering a man who she is certain is a paedophile. Not a particularly pleasant film to sit through (and I imagine it was a LOT worse for guys, the infamous castration scene in particular), but Ellen Page is terrific in it! She played Hayley with such intensity that she is utterly terrifying and at times the audience was left wondering who was the bigger sicko, her or Patrick Wilson’s character, yet I still rooted for her for her strength, thirst for revenge and girl power. Had it been a film with a less controversial subject matter, and Page would have been in contention for an Oscar.

But it doesn’t look like she’s gonna be skimped on an Oscar nomination this year. A movie that’s already generating quite a bit of Oscar buzz, it tells the story of Juno MacGuff, a sarcastic teen who gets knocked up by her best friend Paulie (played by Michael Cera, he's fit), and decides to put her unborn child up for adoption to childless couple Jason Bateman and Jennifer Garner. From the trailer, it looks like an utter delight, with a decent cast (Alison Janney also features), and apparently it’s quite the poignant, moving little indie. So, I can’t wait to see it, and I’m sure Ellen will be brilliant as usual!

Another actress who I see big things for is Saoirse Ronan, who played the young Briony in Atonement. Not content with being completely gorgeous and possessing a unique name, she also just is a really good actor, and an actress that delivers her role as it is, no frills & pretension added (I’m looking at you, Emma Watson.) Before I’d watched Atonement, one of the key things I’d been looking forward about it was seeing what Romola Garai did with the character of Briony, but, good as she was, Saoirse ran circles around her performance. And, with the huge amount of buzz Atonement is generating, an Oscar nomination (and maybe even win!!!) isn’t out of the question at all. She’s also set to play Susie Salmon in next year’s adaptation of the bestseller The Lovely Bones, which, although I didn’t care for, I think Saoirse is inspired casting because there’s a haunted look in her eyes that could really suit the character. I love you, Saoirse!

Finally, an actress whose age equals the combined age of Ellen and Saoirse, Amy Adams. I still harp on about her turn as Ashley in Junebug, just because she was so sweet, and this year I’ll be seeing her twice, as Bonnie in the contentious, Charlie Wilson’s War, and also in family movie Enchanted. Perversely, it’s her performance in the latter that’s actually generating more award buzz for her, as her character of Giselle is apparently quite wonderful and will become a Disney princess to rival the Belles and the Ariels. It’s a bit of an obscure one, but Amy’s just that charming, she should have won in 2006 for Junebug (Damn Rachel Weisz), and if anyone could get a nod for playing a Disney princess, it’s her!

Speaking of Disney princesses, here's some pretty avatars:








Anyway, I thought I would take a break from Physics homework by paying tribute to three very lovely ladies, and I’m very glad I did. I would have also put Emily Blunt in there, but you lot all about my slight obsession with her, and I thought I would blog about some new people today. :-] But, seeing as we’re on the topic of Emily Blunt, did you know that that bastard Michael Buble cheated on her? Who does he think he is?!! She’s utterly gorgeous, and way to good for him! Anyway, Emily, like my Crouchie, has been cheated out by their spouse. I really think Emily Blunt should marry Peter Crouch. They’re both attractive, talented, rich, famous, British and wonderful. And are dating twats who aren’t good enough for them. You know I’m right.

13 comments:

craig said...

Ellen looks very pretty, like a cross between Alexis Biedel and Sarah from Prison Break.

Anonymous said...

Juno is great! I laughed and cried, and Ellen was terrific

Kayleigh said...

It's girls like this that make me feel great about the actresses of today...then i remember Emma Watson is more famous than the 3 of them...git.I can't believe Michael Buble cheated, and with such a whore. Why do these men do shit like this, and why do those women act like sluts?
Ellen for the Oscar!

Catherine said...

I'm really looking forward to Juno and Enchanted. Also, yay for Saoirse Ronan. Irish represent!

Catherine said...

Also, what is "Listen to the girls, as they take on half the world" from? It sounds familiar but I can't place it and Googling won't help...

Emma said...

It's from "Just like Honey", which was on the Factory Girl, and, ironically, the Lost in Translation (looks sheepish) soundtrack. Great song!

Catherine said...

Ah yes! The Jesus and Mary Chain, how could I forget? I own the Lost In Translation soundtrack, it's nothing to be ashamed about. :p

The Traipsing Gypsy said...

Anyway, Emily, like my Crouchie, has been cheated out by their spouse. I really think Emily Blunt should marry Peter Crouch. They’re both attractive, talented, rich, famous, British and wonderful. And are dating twats who aren’t good enough for them. You know I’m right.

Yes, you are. That stupid Michael Buble and Abi Clancy can have each other and cheat on each other as much as they want. Bleh.

And Amy Adams is really pretty.

Anonymous said...

Ellen Page isn't beautiful and she won't have a career in 5 years.

t.k said...

Sez who?

Katie said...

Iker Casillas is hot

Jessica said...

Great article. These actresses are very underrated but I suppose when they're more known, everyone will know those three can probably act better than half of Hollywood. I love the movie Atonement as well. Lovely picture of Keira and Saoirse there.

EllenPageFan said...

I love this post. Amy Adams is great, Saoirse Ronan is beautiful and charming and Ellen Page for the Oscar!