Saturday, December 29, 2007

2007 Films that film stars liked.

I watched Films of the Year 2007 last night, and I think this is the first year that they haven’t had viewers phone/text/e-mail in with their own choices. Is this because of the whole BBC-Blue Peter fixed winner thing?

Anyway, to compensate, they asked loads of film stars what their favourites of 2007 were, and here’s what I was able to get down:

Imelda Staunton – Michael Clayton.
Tom Hollander – The Lives of Others. He also said he found Keira sexy for the first time in Atonement, which surprised me, as I thought she looked far pretty (and healthier) in Pride & Prejudice, which he was in.

Jude Law and Eva Green loved Into the Wild, and Eva admitted to having a crush on Emile Hirsch as a result of watching it.

Michael Caine really liked Tell No One, hailing it as possibly the best film he’d ever seen.

Emmy Blunt loved Atonement.

Daniel Craig – The Kite Runner.
Geoffrey Rush – Across the Universe.
Casey Affleck, Quentin Tarantino – Ratatouille

Amy Adams and Daniel Radcliffe both picked The Bourne Ultimatum as their film of 2007, the latter then going on to pick Zodiac as well.

Charlie Cox – Knocked Up, Blades of Glory

Natalie Portman – Superbad.
Jason Bateman – Michael Clayton.
Nicole Kidman – Control.
Jake, Heath, Patrick Dempsey – Once.

And Cate Blanchett, Renee Zellweger and Charlize Theron all loved Marion Cotillard in La vie en rose.

Oh, and Jonathon Ross also picked Ratatouille.



My thoughts
Well, I don’t care for Daniel Craig, but my excitement for The Kite Runner has been piqued. I’m downloading Michael Clayton right as we speak (17.6%! Damnit!), for the performances more than anything. I’m a bit annoyed that Daniel Radcliffe liked Zodiac, because I did too and I don’t want any affinity with him. That said, The Bourne Ultimatum does seem terrific. And I don’t “get” this huge fan base of Ratatouille, don’t get me wrong, I thought it was a solid film (8/10), very entertaining and fun whilst it lasted as well as gorgeously drawn (that’s where most of my admiration for it comes from, to be honest), but it just didn’t make me feel as much as Monster’s inc or Finding Nemo did, and whilst it was funny in small bursts, didn’t make me guffaw with laughter once. For that, I’m baffled by all the critics bunging it in at #1 in their films of the year, and Empire gave it a *****/***** rating when poor old The Simpsons Movie only got a **/*****.

So, I’ve got to see a lot of films from 2007, chiefly:
- Juno
- The Kite Runner
- Michael Clayton
- No Country for Old Men
- Enchanted
- The Assassination of Jesse James
- I’m not There
- There Will Be Blood
- Lust, Caution
- Sweeney Todd
- The Bourne Ultimatum

- Into the Wild

And loads others. I intend on setting that right today, hopefully with Michael Clayton and The Assassination of Jesse James, which I really want to see for Casey Affleck’s performance, so I can be Team Affleck come Oscar time. I get the feeling that I'm going to go for Team McAvoy/Page/Affleck/Ronan. (I'll need to see two of those performances first, but whatever.)

26 comments:

Anonymous said...

I loved Ratatouille :(

Emma said...

Oh, it certainly wasn't without it's merits. Frame for frame, I reckon it was the most gorgeous (visually) film of 2007.

Just look at this and this!

But emotionally, I was left wanting.

Catherine said...

I was also left kind of emotionally-stumped by Ratatouille. I think because I was expecting it to be a laugh-riot, which it clearly wasn't. But if I leave the unfunniness aside, then it worked excellently as a meditation on art, the need to create, the role of the critic etc. Plus, as you say, it looks gorgeous.

humblebumble said...

Yeah, I liked Ratatouille in spite of its predictable story. It was sweet and touching. Not funny though. I laughed once.

I also think it's kinda funny Tom Hollande thought Keira was sexiest in Atonement when he appeared with her in BOTH P&P and Pirates, two films in which she looks smokin'. She looks like skeletor in Atonement.

Anyway, my favourite 2007 films so far: La Môme, Sunshine and Atonement.

Diana said...

"She looks like skeletor in Atonement."

LMAO

I'll be team Affleck come Oscar time too. He's come a long way from his Ocean days, and I hope he has a shot at the Oscar for both Gone Baby Gone and Assassination. Unfortunately, though, I think an Oscar nom for him is a long shot. GBG was largely ignored by the general population though it was critically lauded (no thanks to Ben Affleck's disastrous J Lo affair), and critics have said Assassination is too long. Still, Casey gave good performances in both.

I know you've repeatedly said Atonement is one of your favorite films of this year, if not all time. I've also really wanted to see it (being the McEwan, Wright, and Marioanelli fan that I am), but I have a concern-is the violence really bad? I'm one of those squeamish people when it comes to blood, so.

Btw, I'm with you on Team Page for the Oscar, although I feel it's a bit of a long shot. Yet I feel slightly better when I think of Keira Knightley's lack of SAG noms...bwahahaha.

Anyway, have fun with Michael Clayton. Tilda Swinton was great.
Awesome site you have.

Anonymous said...

SEE Juno -- You won't be disappointed. It's a little slow to begin, but in the end it becomes such a satisfying, wonderful movie. Every person was perfect for their role.

Kayleigh said...

Radcliffe picked Zodiac?! Oh balls! I'm on Team Atonement too and will be on Team Casey when I see the film, he's always been very underrated.

Emma said...

The violin in Atonement's not too bad, honestly. There are some moments of war violence and grisly images, but it's been much worse and several films in 2007.

RC said...

I love that Terentino chose Ratatoille as his favorite.

this is a fun list, thanks for sharing what you were able to jot down!

Eegah said...

Interesting to know! Yes, it sort of creeps me out too that Radcliffe and I share a liking for Zodiac. Natalie Portman is totally adolescent! And who knew Nicole was into scrubbed kitchen sinks? Love that Jack, Ennis and McDreamy are into Once, aww. Completely agree with you on Ratatoullie...technically delightful film but it lacks the x factor of stuff like Toy Story or Finding Nemo - don't get the overwhelming love for it. Oh, and Blanchett, Zellweger and Theron all have exceptional taste. Exceptional! Hahaha...

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Eddy Lawson said...

Natalie Portman has impeccable taste.

PS. hai. Commenting because you told me to.

Anonymous said...

I am sure this post has touched all the internet visitors, its really really nice piece of writing on building up new web site.
Feel free to surf my web page ... android tablet pc

Anonymous said...

Excellent way of describing, and good article to get data about my presentation focus, which i am going to deliver in school.
Also see my webpage: AT&T

Anonymous said...

Malaysia & Singapore & brunei ideal on the internet blogshop for wholesale & supply korean accessories, accessories, earstuds, locket, rings, hair, bracelet
& bracelet add-ons. Deal 35 % wholesale discount. Ship Worldwide
Stop by my webpage : www.unemployment.ohio.gov

Anonymous said...

Excellent post. I used to be checking continuously this weblog and I am impressed!

Extremely helpful information specially the final part :
) I take care of such info much. I was seeking this particular information for
a very long time. Thank you and best of luck.
My homepage - Extra resources

mytapworld said...

If you are adjustment your home,Taps online there are tiny things that humans usually overlook and they are alteration the curtains of their kitchen and bathroom.Shower taps Curtains play an important role in our day to day tasks abnormally in kitchen and bathroom.Bathroom accessories set There are so abounding things that we do with curtains in kitchen such as charwoman vegetables, accomplishing the dishes and so on.

Vina Janny said...

waterfall taps are easy to maintain. The finishes for cheap taps include brass, aluminium, iron and copper. A variety of shower heads manufactured by leading manufacturers is available at concept-zen.com. You can choose from extra large shower heads, jumbo led taps, round, square and rectangular shower heads as well as spiral, orbit and octopus shower mixer, among other varieties. So select, compare, avail discounts and order the right basin tap for you needs.

Vina Janny said...

waterfall taps are easy to maintain. The finishes for cheap taps include brass, aluminium, iron and copper. A variety of shower heads manufactured by leading manufacturers is available at concept-zen.com. You can choose from extra large shower heads, jumbo led taps, round, square and rectangular shower heads as well as spiral, orbit and octopus shower mixer, among other varieties. So select, compare, avail discounts and order the right basin tap for you needs.

finestglasses said...

Proper medications recommended at regular intervals should be taken to ensure effective polarized sunglasses treatment and cure.

Robinet Deal said...

In British English, a Tap is a device that controls the flow of a liquid or gas from a pipe or container Kitchen Taps, Bathroom Taps, Shower Taps At DisTap,Choose a kitchen sink and tap to suit your kitchen worktop from the huge range stocked at DISTAP from the World's leading sink manufacturers.

robinet sale said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
sherry jiang said...

A man of taste quality of life is high, especially bathroom design often can reflect a person's quality of life.Waterfall taps are a stylish way to make a statement in your bathroom, and are becoming increasingly popular and very affordable. http://www.plumpinguk.co.uk/kitchen-taps/wall-mounted-taps.html.It will make your life more refineddand we have created a lot of artistic products of"stylish personality and quality life".

Zhu Y said...

We pneumatic products manufacture several products, including solenoid valves,air control valves, piston air cylinder, Pneumatic Air Filter and some pneumatic accessories. Most of goods are exported to USA, Europe and Asia. And they are widely used on electronic, pharmaceutical, food processing, packaging, medical and automotive industries. Visit: www.xinyipneumatic.com

dc Z said...

Duscharmaturen von Marken-Herstellern zu Top-Preisen. Bei Reuter finden Sie auf jeden Fall die passende Duscharmatur. Kommen Sie hereinspaziert.http://www.wasserhahn.com.de/22-duscharmatur

Cheap Tap said...

Waterfall taps nowadays became more and more popular in ordinary families, it is comfortably when using a waterfall spout to washing. Installing waterfall taps can make your house more fashion and attractive.Best Selling http://www.cheaptap.co.uk/waterfall-taps-c-36.html For You with Great Quality and Fast Shipping, Choosing a suitable waterfall kitchen or bathroom tap for your house or work place.