Tuesday, October 16, 2007

I Can’t Do Everything, but I’d do Anything for You. (The Music & Books Edition).

My ranking of the four books I’ve read out of the six shortlisted Booker prize nominees this year:
01. The Reluctant Fundamentalist by Mohsin Hamid
02. The Gathering by Anne Enright
03. On Chesil Beach by Ian McEwan
04. Mister Pip by Lloyd Jones

Not read: Darkmans by Nicola Barker (looks ruddy boring), Animal's People by Indra Sinha.

Are the two I haven’t read worth reading? Darkmans looks like an absolute brick.

And my current playlist:
- For Elena (Ennio Morricone, Cinema Paradiso score) – I adore this entire soundtrack, but For Elena is the track that captures my own emotions perfectly at this precise moment.
- Chelsea Hotel (Regina Spektor) – Leanord Cohen’s original remains definitive, but I just think that having Regina’s sensitive female vocals do a take on the line “Giving me head on the unmade bed” is something quite special.
- Good Old Fashioned Lover Boy (Queen)
- Romeo and Juliet (Dire Straits) and Romeo and Juliet (The Killers) – what can I say? One of the most beautiful love songs ever written, with some lines that can bring tears to my eyes.
- Sukie in the Graveyard (Belle & Sebastian)
- Rocky Raccoon (The Beatles) – currently, the song that I’m totally obsessed with. I can play it on the guitar and on Monday I “serenaded” my form with it, to a point where they all told me to shut up. Still, I don’t care; it’s a masterpiece
- Close to Me (The Cure)
- Lust Caution OST. (Desplat)

And so on. If you would like a listen to any of those, you know what to do.

And Happy Birthday Timmy Robbins, by the way!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Regina Spektor sings about receiving head?

I want to hear this.

Harry W said...

Yep she does, it's an odd but beautiful song.

READ ANIMAL'S PEOPLE, Emma!

Monkey said...

can I have Sukie in the Graveyard please Emma?

dead depressed about the football. lampard should've played.

Anonymous said...

Crouch should have played.