Saturday, October 20, 2007

Albus Dumbledore fancied men; Lohan the good girl gone bad.


So, JK Rowling revealed yesterday in New York that Albus Dumbledore was in fact, gay. Apparently, he was smitten with rival Gellert Grindelwald, whom he defeated long ago in a battle between good and bad wizards. Imagine how much that must have hurt him! Yet he did defeated him anyway, because it was the right thing to do. I love Dumbledore even more now.

I’m really happy that Rowling came out with this, though, to present someone as influential as a Harry Potter character as homosexual is important because it presses the point that it does happen. As Rowling herself said, "I love Dumbledore still," she said. "It just makes him more interesting. It makes him more human. ... It doesn't change who he is. It doesn't change what he did. he's still the lovable Dumbledore, mentor and father figure to Harry - to all of us."

Plus, it’s just really surprising.

Hmm.

In other news, I watched Confessions of a Teenage Drama Queen today, and whilst I thought it was quite rubbish, I’ve come to realise that Lindsay Lohan, as an actress, isn’t the total arsehole that I’d thought she was. She was brilliant as the twins in The Parent Trap, she was likeable in Mean Girls, and in Bobby she was semi-convincing. Whilst I really despise her as a person, I think that she’s got potential as an actress and don’t think she should throw her future career down the drain by partying 24/7.

But there was another actress who I thought much better than her in the same movie, and that’s Alison Pill. Pill’s really underrated, she was great in Pieces of April and I remember her in The Dinosaur Hunter as being v. impressive indeed. Definitely one of my favourite American “child” (I saw child, she’s like 22 now!) actresses.

11 comments:

Luke said...

Personally, I don't like the fact that she announced he's gay. It's good in that it benefits the gay community, but I don't feel like it's true because it isn't revealed in the books. She finished the series and then announced it, so it doesn't feel right.

paul haine said...

I agree with luke. Seems like an odd thing to mention now.

Kayleigh said...

Whoa seriously?
i must admit i never thought of him as being gay. If any character was going to be gay, it would have been Sirius (him and James, we all knew it, right? Or was it just me?).
I despise Hohan but at least she's a better actress than Hilary Duff. Confessions is such a bad film, but it does have Adam Garcia looking sexy.

Emma said...

Luke, I think I understand where you're coming from... I mean, on one hand, it seems as off Rowling's being a bit facetious with a character that has been with her for 9 years, which certainly is random.

Emma said...

And Kayleigh, Duff needs to die. Words cannot describe how irritating she is, she's trying to sing & unleash her brand of "make up" on us as well now!

Ugh.

Anonymous said...

Emma, the icons are terrific! Where did you find them?

Emma said...

Well, this is what I do when I'm bored - scour the Internet for avatars that relate to my articles!

I love them too! They're so cool!

Besty said...

Yeah, Ok, what does the photo have to do with anything?

Catherine said...

I was deighted when she announced Dumbledore was a 'mo, but I wish she could have put it into the books. It seems like a wee bit of a cop out. Ah well, it's still awesome. Anything to give the fundamentalists more to hate about Harry Potter...

Just a girl said...

Hey Emma,
Wow. Never would have guessed!
I agree it's somewhat out of the blue for her to announce that Dumbledore is gay, without hinting to it in any way (that I saw) in the books...Ah well. I like that she says the books are a "prolonged argument for tolerance."
x
Just a girl
PS Love the icons!

Anonymous said...

I'm not homophobic or anything, but I really don't like that she's announced this. There's nothing in the books, that I can recall, that even suggests that he might be gay. Seems like a publicity stunt to me.