Sunday, August 05, 2007

Wild Boys.

My top 25 favourite actors, chosen through a mixture of admiration for their talent, the films they appear in, the performances they’ve given, their personalities, how cute they are, and just how much they appeal to me.

Near misses: John C. Reilly, Mathieu Amalric, Moritz Bleibtreu, Matthew Perry.

25. Gael García Bernal
Best film: El Crimen del Padre Amaro
Best performance: Bad Education

24. Dan Futterman
Best film: Capote (as writer)
Best performance: Urbania

23. Will Smith
Best film: Six Degrees of Separation
Best performance: Ali

22. Shia LaBeouf
Best film: Holes
Best performance: A Guide to Recognising Your Saints

21. Jack Black
Best film: The School of Rock
Best performance: High Fidelity

20. Tom Hollander
Best film: Pride & Prejudice
Best performance: Pride & Prejudice

19. Joaquin Phoenix
Best film: Walk the Line
Best performance: Buffalo Soldiers

18. Gregory Peck
Best film: Roman Holiday
Best performance: To Kill a Mockingbird

17. Jeremy Irons
Best film: Lolita
Best performance: Kafka

16. River Phoenix
Best film: Stand By Me
Best performance: My Own Private Idaho

15. David Mitchell
Best film: Magicians
Best performance: TV’s "Peep Show"

14. Cary Grant
Best film: An Affair to Remember
Best performance: Notorious

13. Jake Gyllenhaal
Best film: Brokeback Mountain
Best performance: Brokeback Mountain

12. Rupert Grint
Best film: Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
Best performance: Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix

11. Jack Lemmon
Best film: The Apartment
Best performance: Save the Tiger

10. Jean-Pierre Léaud
Best film: The 400 Blows
Best performance: The 400 Blows

09. Philip Seymour Hoffman
Best film: Capote
Best performance:Capote

08. Paddy Considine
Best film: My Summer of Love
Best performance: Dead Man’s Shoes

07. Morgan Freeman
Best film: The Shawshank Redemption
Best performance: Se7en

06. James Stewart
Best film: Rear Window
Best performance: Anatomy of a Murder

05. Haley Joel Osment
Best film: A.I.: Artificial Intelligence
Best performance: A.I.: Artificial Intelligence

04. Leonardo DiCaprio
Best film: William Shakespeare's Romeo + Juliet
Best performance: The Aviator

03. Tim Robbins
Best film: The Shawshank Redemption
Best performance: The Shawshank Redemption

02. Alec Guinness
Best film: Kind Hearts and Coronets
Best performance: A Bridge on the River Kwai

01. Marlon Brando
Best film: On the Waterfront
Best performance: A Streetcar Named Desire

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , .

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, I don't think anybody can understand or forgive your ridiculous Grint loving, nor your Labeouf fandom, but any girl who rates Jeremy Irons, Moritz Bleibtreu, Morgan Freeman and Jean-Pierre Leaud is fine by me.

Will you do one with actresses too?

Anonymous said...

Good luck!

J.D. said...

Tom Hollander? Really?

Kayleigh said...

You had me at number 19!
Another Shia fan, good to have you on the team!

Notas Sobre Creación Cultural e Imaginarios Sociales said...

Great to see Brando at # 1, he along with Gregory Peck and James Dean form my holy trilogy of screen G-ds.

FREAK said...

Distinct. I like most of the people on here.

I'm becoming a Leo fan, although I don't subscribe to his large fanbase. I prefer to think he's the best actor this millenium. (02-06 at least)

Anonymous said...

Tom Hollander is brilliant as both a stage and film actor! Glad to see him on your list (although I would've rated him much higher!) ;) His versatility is truly amazing when for example, comparing/contrasting his role as Pride and Prejudice's Mr. Collins vs. Lord Cutler Beckett of the East India Trading Co. in Pirates 2 and 3. I hope that you will take time to explore his other work! He is currently featured on TNT's new series "The Company" as MI6 agent Adrian (Kim) Philby.

Anonymous said...

I love Rupert Grint. I think he's the best of the trio. Good job w this!

Anonymous said...

Hey! ahem, before you come to the conclusion any sane person would probably arrive at, I'm not a stalker :D I just stumbled across your blog one day when obsessively searching for anything about the atonement soundtrack online, noticed you took maths and further maths for a level, that you want to do maths at uni, and was shocked. Partly because I'm precisely the same? I didn't know there was anyone as insane as me that subjects themselves to both maths-es (gosh...FP1...*groans*) and who also has this unnatural obsession with films and film soundtracks. Apparantly so.

After obsessively reading all of your articles, (again, I stress: non-stalker) I realised however, how completely amateur I am when it comes to films, books, and all manner of things I'd prided myself in. The amount of films you've seen - the amount of GOOD films you've seen, may I add - your amazing style of writing about them, and the critique you have for their soundtracks - I felt utterly humbled, and I wanted to congratulate you. You've definately inspired me to watch more films, especially the more classic ones, and to regard them in a better light. Thanks so much :D and, by the way, all of your icons are gorgeous. Where are the from. and by-the-by-the-way, after reading your alfred hitchcock article, I was wondering if you'd ever seen Marnie?

anywhoo, I'll leave you to wonder why anyone would ever send such a bloated message to a stranger...and again, I'll reiterate: non-stalker :D xxx