Sunday, July 08, 2007

Now that it's raining more than ever...

Heehee.

^^In honour of the good British Summertime weather.

Anyway, just a quick note on the state of my Playlist at the moment - I've been in Spice Girls overload since hearing about their reunion tour, and I'd forgotten how much I love them! My favourites of theirs are Goodbye, The Lady is a Vamp, Wannabe, 2 Become 1, Mama, Never Give Up on the Good Times and Tell Me Why. I love most of their songs, really.

Another English band that I've really gotten into recently is Portishead, and their music is a fusion of electronica, trip-hop and alternative rock. I'm sure you know who they are, so I won't ramble but Glory Box (sexiest song ever?) and Numb are my favourites of theirs.

Also, in the spirit of La Vie en Rose, I've been bringing Edith Piaf back. Probably also because I want to be more like Emily Blunt's Tamsin in My Summer of Love. I gave up French in Year 9 so my understanding of her songs is very limited, but with the language barrier, I can still appreciate her genius. Un Refrain Courait Dans La Rue is probably my favourite song of hers, though I also can't get enough of:



Now, I've been a bit out of date with music recently due to exams, but now that they've ended, my friends recommended my some CDs, which I proceeded to listen to: Shock Value by Timbaland, which I thought had its moments, such as the opening track, which brilliantly sampled Nina Simone's Sinner Man, Give It To Me with Nelly Furtado and Justin Timberlake, and the ending track, 2 Man Show, where Elton's piano playing rocks. These three tracks are the highlights and redeem the rest, which is rather tepid.


Another CD I've been listening to is From Here We Go Sublime by The Field, a band I'd never heard of before. Their music is basically the minimal abstract dance beat that many love. I don't, but it can be soothing to listen to during the evening.


And of course, Rihanna's Umbrella, which I've recently become obsessed with. It's the sort of song I should find annoying, but, amazingly, don't. It's infectious, some of the lyrics are good, and Rihanna has an OK voice. That equates to a decent Summer hit in my books.

Oh, and I couldn't write a music post without mentioning the song that I am *totally* obsessed with, the one, the only, Rocky Raccoon, a sort of Western/Bibical morality tale of sorts. It's amazing, I heart the Beatles so much.

So, without further ado, my current playlist:
- Wannabe (Spice Girls)
- How to Disappear Completely (Radiohead)
- Inertia Creeps (Massive Attack)
- Umbrella (Rihanna ft. Jay Z)
- Glory Box (Portishead)
- 2 Man Show (Timbaland ft. Elton John)
- Rocky Raccoon (The Beatles)
- Tu es partout (Edith Piaf)
- Ne Me Quitte Pas (Regina Spektor)
- Goodbye (Spice Girls)
- Girls (Death in Vegas)

So that's that. These songs have put me in a much more Summery mood than the weather currently, which is just putting me in a Zummery mood.



Tags: , , , , .

25 comments:

craig said...

Is it wong that I love that song?

Katie said...

Had fun working on your maths presentation?

The "eh"s ruin this song.

Emma said...

@ Craig - it's an alright song. It is, however, wrong, for you to feel your have the right to call me chav, when you hadn't even heard of Rocky Raccoon and love this. :p

@ Katie - I'm doing Patrick's work now, did Economics 2.0 because it was in a group, haven't even started Tommo's. I'm a Zummer! And I love the "eh"s. They make the song catchier.

Anyway, you can stand under my umbrella.

Cal said...

I love that song more than any straight man should....but I don't care.

(ella, ella, ella, eyy eyy eyy)

Besty said...

Emma's a lesbian!

craig said...

Your English is so great Emma. :P

Emma said...

Alright, Martin! I didn't say you couldn't stand under it either.

@ Craig - umbrella.

craig said...

Can I stand under your umbrella?

Emma said...

Depends on if you can stop calling me chav. [flowercat]

craig said...

When did I last call you a chav?

Emma said...

You said I liked Jean-Paul McQueen and Rupert Grint because they were chavvy.

craig said...

Liking chavs and being one are two completely different things.

Cal said...

Rupert Grint isn't chavvy! He's a god among gingers

craig said...

No Girls Aloud?

Kayleigh said...

I really hate Umbrella but love The Lady is a Vamp...what can i say, i have no taste hehe...
Right now i am obsessed with the song 'Sympathy for the Devil'

J.D. said...

[...] Not to sound like a stupid American, but... what does "chav" mean?

Anonymous said...

Yo, JD!

In Britain, we call someone a chav if they eat at Mcdonalds, wear Burberry all day and their idea of an intellectual challenge was doing a 2x2 Sudoko. Chavs are hated in Britian because they lower house prices and just make us all look like hooligans and thugs. Emma definitely isn't one, but the football team she supports is chavvy.

Katie said...

Anonymous got it right, the chavs are the pits. And their definition is great, Emma's expands it a bit further:

Chavs – the absolute low-point of English society, they’re the ones who wear Burberry like there’s no tomorrow, eat at MacDonalds all day, don’t have a single GCSE to their name and use unclassy phrases 24/7.

That's all there is to chavs, honestly - Burberry (and other fake labels), street violence, McDonalds, swearing, & a bad education.

J.D. said...

McDonalds kinda sucks, so does street violence, but swearing is *** **** ***** ********* great, so... Thanks for the explanation!

Andrés said...

i'd also pay attention to "over" and "only you" from the bristol band...the live record is mind boggling!

i heard the weather in britain is terrible...yet, i still wanna live there..

cheers

cinefille said...

I'm also on a Edith Piaf/Spice Girls overload at the moment. Coincidence?

Squish said...

"...choose eight people to get tagged and list their names. Don't forget to leave them a comment telling them they're tagged, and to read your blog."

Visit my site for full details Emma!

J.D. said...

TaG! (This is like your 7th tag, so... sorry)

DL said...

Congratulations on getting on IMDb's Hit List!!

buy accutane said...

Never share this medicine with another person, even if they have the same symptoms buy accutane you have. It is usually given after other acne medicines or antibiotics have been tried without successful