Friday, April 13, 2007

My Most Anticipated Films of 2007.

Yes, I realise I’m over four months late, but better late then never!

01. Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
My least favourite of the six books so far, but then again, Goblet of Fire was my favourite book, and because I had such high expectations, it was my least favourite of the four films, so I won’t expect too much from this (other than a masterpiece), and hopefully be satisfied with my lot. This is the book in which Harry has OWLs to study for, the entire ministry of Magic trying to make him look bad, and he even has time to find himself a fancy girl – Cho Chang, and um… they snog. I know this because a) it was written in a very drawn out, cringeworthy way in the books, where there was even mistletoe (humph), and b) The Sun, which is not a newspaper I read, of course, made a big fuss about how Danny Boy had to shoot the kissing scene twenty or so times. Nauseating.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

So anyway, Once again, the adult cast that has been lined up here are absolutely fantastic, with all the A-listers from the previous movies, along with the inspired casting of the usually sweet figure of Imelda Staunton, as the sadistic Professor Umbridge, and she’ll be trading in her tea-cosies for her wand to severely damage Daniel Radcliffe. Also worth noting is that neither Patrick Doyle nor John Williams takes composer duties her, but it goes to relative unknown Nicholas Hooper, and Rupert Grint still plays Ron, so even if the movie’s bad, I can enjoy another Oscar-worthy performance from him. (lol)

02. Atonement
This is my favourite Ian McEwan novel (though I don't like him much so that's not really a huge compliment). Furthermore, the characters are all so complex that I started sympathising with Robbie and Cecilia, but finally becoming completely interested and passionate for Briony. Now, without killing the plot any further, I’ll add that it’s directed by Joe Wright, who did a great first-timer’s job on Pride & Prejudice, and Keira Knightley stars as Cecilia, my favourite Scottish actor, James McAvoy, as Robbie, but, perhaps, best of all, the massively underrated Romola Garai (of I Capture the Castle fame). And Dario Marienelli, who score P&P, provides the music! This movie is gonna rock.

03. The Simpsons Movie
I’m so, so, so, scared about this. The Simpsons is my favourite TV programme of all time, and I don’t think they’ve ever had a bad episode. But… as a movie? Time will tell, I guess.

04. Love in the Time of CholeraAgain, it’s out of love for the book, and also the cast – Catalina and Fernanda!

05. His Dark Materials: The Golden Compass
06. My Blueberry Nights
07. The Other Boleyn Girl
08. Ratatouille
09. Zodiac
10. The Bourne Ultimatum
So… what about you?

Oh, and I know no-one asked, but here are my favourite songs:
01. Samson (Regina Spektor)
02. Son of a Preacher Man (Dusty Springfield)
03. Hallelujah (Rufus Wainwright)
04. Hey Jude (The Beatles)
05. Under Pressure (Queen ft. David Bowie)
06. November Has Come (Gorillaz)
07. Lullaby (The Dixie Chicks)
08. Teardrop (Massive Attack)
09. Rocky Racoon (The Beatles)
10. All These Things that I’ve Done (The Killers)
11. Sinnerman (Nina Simone)
12. The Heart of the Matter (India.Arie)
13. Too Young (Phoenix)
14. It Wouldn’t Have Made Any Difference (Todd Rundgren)
15. Lean on Me (Bill Withers)
16. Love Affair (Regina Spektor)
17. Jackson (Johnny & June Carter Cash)
18. Don’t Stop Me Now (Queen)
19. I Wish I Knew How it Feels to be Free (Nina Simone)
20. Pennies in My Pocket (Emilio Estefan)
21. Golden Slumbers (KD Lang)
22. Talk Show Host (Radiohead)
23. Earth Song (Michael Jackson)
24. Black Horse and Cherry Tree (KT Tunstell)
25. Juke Box Blues (Reese Witherspoon as June Carter Cash)

26. Chelsea Dagger (The Fratellis)
27. While My Guitar Gently Weeps (The Beatles)
28. I Don’t Want to Go to Chelsea (Elvis Costello)
29. Fidelity (Regina Spektor)
30. Vincent (Don McLean)
31. Hands of Time (Groove Armada)
32. Romeo + Juliet (Dire Straits)
33. Momentum (Aimee Mann)
34. Dirge (Death in Vegas)
35. Billie Jean (Michael Jackson)
36. Let’s Stay Together (Al Green)
37. Don’t Let Me Be Misunderstood (Nina Simone)
38. Chasing Cars (Snow Patrol)
39. A Love that Will Never Grow Old (Emmylou Harris)
40. Numb Encore (Jay-Z ft. Linkin Park)
41. Best of My Love (The Emotions)
42. Head over Heels (Tears for Fears)
43. Dancing With Myself (Nouvelle Vague)
44. Wicked Game (Chris Isaak)
45. The Killing Moon (Echo and the Bunnymen)
46. Big Yellow Taxi (Counting Crows)
47. Good Foot (Justin Timberlake)
48. My Father’s Gun (Elton John)
49. Michelle (The Beatles)
50. Jolene (Dolly Parton)

51. Cats in the Cradle (Harry Chapin)
52. Kothbiro (Ayub Ogada)
53. Mr. Brightside (The Killers)
54. The Absence of God (Rilo Kiley)
55. Because of You (Kelly Clarkson)
56. Down to the River to Pray (Alison Krauss)
57. Wildwood Flower (June Carter Cash)
58. Strict Machine (Goldfrapp)
59. Braille (Regina Spektor)
60. The Girl is Mine (Paul McCartney ft. Michael Jackson)
61. Wishin’ & Hopin’ (Dustin Springfield)
62. Hollaback Girl (Gwen Stefani)
63. Can We Still Be Friends (Todd Rundgren)
64. I Dug Up a Diamond (Mark Knopfler & Emmylou Harris)
65. Here Comes to Sun (Nina Simone)
66. Wise Up (Aimee Mann)
67. Clint Eastwood (Gorillaz)
68. Coward of the County (Kenny Rogers)
69. Funky Town (Lipps inc)
70. Vogue (Madonna)
71. Sounds of the Underground (Girls Aloud)
72. Oedipus (Regina Spektor)
73. Monkey and Bear (Joanne Newsome)
74. Bones (The Killers)
75. Kiss Me (Sixpence None the Richer)

26 comments:

Luke said...

21st July. [heartx10000]

"05. His Dark Materials: The Golden Compass
06. My Blueberry Nights
07. The Other Boleyn Girl
08. Ratatouille"

I love you. Can you tell me why? (It's not hard.) =D

Emma said...

His Dark Materials: The Golden Compass, for your Nicole, right?

Luke said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Emma said...

My Blueberry Nights - Norah Jones.

The other film has Natalie.

And... Pixar!

Luke said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Luke said...

My Blueberry Nights has Natalie, too!!!

I'm surprised that The Other Boleyn Girl is there when you hate the two main characters, the Goddess and ScarHo.

Emma said...

But the book was so good. And I reckon Natalie acting alongside ScarHo will benefit Miss Portman, she’ll look excellent in comparison!

Sorry about the slowness in realizing, lol, my mum was behind me and I'm pretending to work. :D

Luke said...

I must read the book! I may buy it at work tomorrow. Portman will be excellent anyway, but yes, she'll easily show up the crappiness of the Permanent Pouter.

Have you done all your work ready for Monday (or Tuesday)?

Emma said...

I have the Hamlet essay to redraft, which I've done loads of annotations all over it, yet I'm just too scared to go and type them up, dunno why.

I'm currently struggling over the Frankenstein essay.

And we have three mocks when I get back, all of which I've *attempted* to revise for, but it's just so boring.

Random question - for Film Studies, is the c.w. to make a short film?

Luke said...

I too always dread redrafting an essay after it's been written all over, but it's much easier and normally quite quick to do.

I have a Psychology exam to complete (with the help of my notes, probably) and I need to read all of my English texts at least one more time before the exam.

For AS Film Studies coursework, you choose one of three options: creating a storyboard, writing a screenplay or (as you said) actually filming a sequence (typically the opening) of an original idea for a film. I (and most other people) chose the storyboard, as our teacher told us that it's easiest to get high marks on, whereas the short film is notoriously difficult to do well in (though it sounded much more fun!).

Emma said...

Cool! My school does Media Studies and everyone got loadsa scope on what to do... but none of it sounds as fun as a storyboard.

So what's your idea then?

Anonymous said...

"b) The Sun, which is not a newspaper I read, of course, made a big fuss about how Danny Boy had to shoot the kissing scene twenty or so times. Nauseating."

So how did you know that it happened? ;P

Luke said...

Ummm... It's rather embarrassing. Just so you know, the point was to make the film typical of the genre you chose, to show that you understand codes and conventions, etc. Let's just say it was a superhero action film involving leopards. :|

Emma said...

@ Anonymous: the article was posted across my school, and teachers kept pulling them down.

@ Luke: superhero action film involving leopards is better than most of the teenage crap I write. Soooooooo embarrassing!

Luke said...

Haha! It gave me an excuse to make my best friend dress up in leopardskin all over, which gave us all a laugh. I'd love to read some of your work! Pleeeeease? You know I won't be mean. 0;]

Luke said...

"I walked into a honky tonky just the other daaaay..."

I love your list! I adore or at least like the majority of those. Impeccable taste, as always.

And my question still stands!

Anonymous said...

so you're not looking forward to Reservation Road? Shame.

Monkey said...

Speaking of Harry having a fancy girl, I can't find any decent sized pictures of your new fancy man for your present this coming Wednesday, Emma! Why pick a journalist, ffs?

Monkey said...

PS why the fuck is Funky Town lower than Best of My Love?

Scott said...

I just took Atonement out from my local library, and cannot wait to read it - especially after seeing the new teaser trailer. Wow. Dario Marianelli's score sounds just as good as his P&P one, which is a HUGE compliment.

Brian Erickson said...

EEK. I am scared for The Simpsons Movie, too. Most anticipated of all time. The early reviews have been positive and signs point to it being good, but I dunno...

craig said...

"The Simpsons is my favourite TV programme of all time, and I don’t think they’ve ever had a bad episode."

Have you not watched the last 5/6 series.

Reel Fanatic said...

I'm worried about The Simpsons movie too, Emma, but cautiously optomistic it will work .. I'm excited about all the movies on your list .. One I would add, which has already opened over there in the UK, is Hot Fuzz ... Hopefully we're getting that next week, and I can't wait

Stace said...

Can't wait for Harry, spidey 3 and Pirates World's End

J.D. Judge said...

#1: The Simpsons Movie
#2: PIRATES!!!!!!!! 3
#3: Harry Potter 5
#4: Spider-Man 3
#5: Saw it already. AQUA TEEN HUNGER FORCE COLON MOVIE FILM FOR THEATERS makes Casablanca look like Alone in the Dark. AWESOMEIST MOVIE EVER!!!!!!!!

I'll stop now, lol.

Catherine said...

I'm in awe of your abaility to catalogue your favourite songs in such order. More than I could ever attempt.