Sunday, April 15, 2007

Movies I've Seen This Easter.

My favourite performance in it// my favourite element of the movie// grade// worst thing about the movie// additional comments

Easter is nice.

Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (Chris Columbus, 2002)
My favourite performance in it: Rupert Grint, as always.
My favourite element of the movie: The lovely tingly score as well as the unintentionally hilarious acting from Danny Boy Radcliffe and Emma “I can pout” Watson.
Grade: B+.
Worst thing about the movie: Sequence in which Emma Watson ran down the hall and hugged Radcliffe. Retch.
Additional comments: My second favourite of the four movies.

The Ghost and Mrs. Muir (Joseph L. Mankiewicz, 1947)
My favourite performance in it: Rex Harrison as the grumpy ghost Capt. Daniel Gregg
My favourite element of the movie: Just how romantic and cute it was.
Grade: A-.
Worst thing about the movie: The ending, very predictable and “1940s”.
Additional comments: Interesting lil’ tidbit: In Blithe Spirit, Rex Harrison plays a character who is himself haunted by a ghost!

Mr. Smith Goes to Washington (Frank Capra, 1939)
My favourite performance in it: James Stewart. Impeccable.
My favourite element of the movie: Jefferson Smith, a character of true integrity who doesn’t succumb to the corruption in politics.
Grade: A-.
Worst thing about the movie: At times, on the wrong side of clich├ęd.
Additional comments: “Either I'm dead right, or I'm crazy!”

Shattered Glass (Billy Ray, 2003)
My favourite performance in it: A toss-up between Peter Sarsgaard’s shouty editor, and Hayden Christensen, usually so awful in his Star Wars role, as Stephen Glass.
My favourite element of the movie: The plot. Utterly thrilling without there being any overblown action sequences.
Grade: A-.
Worst thing about the movie: Chloe Sevigny, an actress I just find annoying.
Additional comments: Peter Sarsgaard was nice-looking in an ugly way in this film. Yup.

Dumplings (Fruit Chan, 2004)
My favourite performance in it: Bai Ling as the cook.
My favourite element of the movie: The soundtrack, the stunning cinematography, which juxtaposed ugliness with beautiful shots, and the acting, which was in-your-facely good.
Grade: B.
Worst thing about the movie: AGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! So f-cking disturbing. FilmFour screened it as part of their Horror season, but judging from the weird trailers where they showed a woman walking as in sort of a trance, I merely assumed that this was a psychological horror of some kind. But it was certainly more than that. Too disturbing for words.
Additional comments: Even though it’s disturbing, it is v., v., interesting.

The Sound of Music (Robert Wise, 1965)
My favourite performance in it: Julie Andrew. Charming, but never annoyoing.
My favourite element of the movie: The sounds, most of all "My Favourite Things" and "16 Going on 17".
Grade: B.
Worst thing about the movie: The kids. Now they were annoying.
Additional comments:




These are a few of my favourite things...




Raindrops on roses and whiskers on kittens,
bright copper kettles and warm woolen mittens,
brown paper packages tied up with strings,
these are a few of my favorite things.

Cream colored ponies and crisp apple strudels,
door bells and sleigh bells and schnitzel with noodles.
Wild geese that fly with the moon on their wings.
these are a few of my favorite things.

Girls in white dresses with blue satin sashes,
snowflakes that stay on my nose and eyelashes,
silver white winters that melt into springs,
these are a few of my favorite things.

When the dog bites, when the bee stings,
when I'm feeling sad,
I simply remember my favorite things,
and then I don't feel so bad.

Raindrops on roses and whiskers on kittens,
bright copper kettles and warm woolen mittens,
brown paper packages tied up with strings,
these are a few of my favorite things.

Cream colored ponies and crisp apple strudels,
door bells and sleigh bells and schnitzel with noodles.
Wild geese that fly with the moon on their wings.
these are a
few of my favorite things.

Girls in white dresses with blue satin sashes,
snowflakes that stay on my nose and eyelashes,
silver white winters that melt into springs,
these are a few of my favorite things.

When the dog bites, when the bee stings,
when I'm feeling sad,
I simply remember my favorite things,
and then I don't feel so bad.



The Human Stain (Robert Benton, 2003)
My favourite performance in it: Wentworth Miller. He was incredible, I didn’t care at all about the central plotline between Anthony Hopkins and Nicole Kidman (eww) at all, but the Wentworth Miller flashbacks were utterly wonderful. He is a really underrated actor, and I have such a craving to re-watch Prison Break. However, Gary Sinise was also wonderfully understated.
My favourite element of the movie: Wentworth Miller flashbacks.
Grade: C-.
Worst thing about the movie: Kidman’s performance, as well as how pretentious it felt.
Additional comments: The Last Kiss' Jacinda Barrett is in this movie, and I didn't even recognise her! (she was blonde.)

And the movie that I’m dying to see, but haven’t found time (or friends willing to go out and see it) is Danny Boyle’s Sunshine. It sounds incredible!

20 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mrs. Smith Goes to Washington? I haven't heard of that one before.

paul haine said...

I saw Sunshine a few weeks ago. My advice would be to not get too excited...

Emma said...

Wha-??

*changes quickly.*

Emma said...

Paul - loadsa people are raving about Sunshine, though! I'm not one to usually buy into hype, of course, but... Cillian!

What would be your rating out of 10 for it?

jack said...

Emma! We won! We are the Champions!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Emma said...

Yes, good game.

Not the best performance from Chelsea, they had the better first hald, but in the second, peh! Still, I'm really fond of Kalou, so I'm pleased he set up Ballack.

The final will be brilliant. Chelsea better annhialate ManUre!

Emma said...

Yes, good game.

Not the best performance from Chelsea, they had the better first hald, but in the second, peh! Still, I'm really fond of Kalou, so I'm pleased he set up Ballack.

The final will be brilliant. Chelsea better annhialate ManUre!

paul haine said...

Out of 10...I'd go with a 6. I just found it a bit, err, a bit Danny Boyle, really.

I'm probably just being grumpy. Go and see it, and then we can argue about it in more detail :)

Monkey said...

So... where will The Conformist enter your top list at?

Emma said...

Um... I'm thinking Top 25, Monkey. I want it i my top 20, but I know Martin will have a go at me and say I'm sucking up to you, despite the fact that *he* has it in his top 10! Huh!

Stace said...

i love Stewart's acting in that film too Emma. And love any Harry.

Woodstock said...

chambers is my 3rd favorite potter. my 1st is cuaron's... i love anything from cuaron actually. and what a lovely thing to see the sound of music in easter! all i had were crazy kids and alcohol enough to make me consider going to rehab [no no no!!!].

Sidney said...

I love Asian cinema, but I fucking hated Dumplings to pieces. Have you seen Audition? It’s almost as sick as that.

Woodstock said...

this is a comment about below's post.

i am also totally excited about atonement. although i haven't read the novel yet but the joe wright/keira knightley reprise is enough to make me climbing the walls. as you know, i absolutely love p&p.

emma!!! why didn't you tell me you liked fernanda montenrgro? she's my favorite brazillian actress; she's g-d.

and samson is dang cute. i was so addicted to it a while ago.

senshine said...

SUNSHINE!!!!!! Has quickly become one of my favorite movies of all time! When you go see it, sit towards the very front!

Shannon said...

Great list! What a fascinating rating/comment system - I love it!

Just found your blog recently and I have to say - I'm impressed :)

Can't wait to read more.

paul haine said...

RANDOM MOVIE FACT

Edward Norton is to be the next Incredible Hulk. This is GOOD NEWS. Almost as good as the news that Robert Downey Jr. is to be the next Iron Man.

paul haine said...

RANDOM MOVIE FACT

Edward Norton is to be the next Incredible Hulk. This is GOOD NEWS. Almost as good as the news that Robert Downey Jr. is to be the next Iron Man.

paul haine said...

Sorry for the double posting. Maybe I'm just doubly excited?

Emma said...

@ Woodstock - yeah, I love her! Her performance in Central Station really moved me.

@ Sen - yup, I'll probably see it on my 17th birthday, so it'd better be good!

@ Paul - ehm, OK, whatever works for ya. :P