Monday, February 19, 2007

A Look Ahead to Best Supporting Actress & Actor.

Supporting Actor bores me, so I may just have pictures instead of writing. :D

Adriana Barraza (Babel)
Cate Blanchett (Notes on a Scandal)
Abigail Breslin (Little Miss Sunshine)
Jennifer Hudson (Dreamgirls)
Rinko Kikuchi (Babel)
How I did: 80%. I got all right, except I predicted Emily Blunt to get nominated instead of Abigail Breslin.

Unlike last year, where I had Amy Adams, Michelle Williams and Rachel Weisz in my personal ballot, only one of my choices match this – Hudson. Also, my analysis is not that good today seeing as I'm writing this with on eye on the FA Quarter Final Draw, so if it's quality analysis of actress around the edges you want, head over here.

01. Jennifer Hudson
It’s not become quite fashionable to diss this performance, but I really enjoyed Hudson’s work in this film. She plays the archetypal dreamgirl with brashness and sass, and showing that she’s much more than just a little voice. She is the shining star of the film, each of her musical numbers are a treat, but, more importantly, her performance is great too, giving Effie White the emotional layers and she steals every scene she’s in. What’s more, with the BAFTA, Golden Globe, SAG and various other rewards under her belt, there’s no way that Abigail Breslin will win this over her, so I’m insanely pleased. A-.

02. Adriana Barraza
Long-time Innaritu Barraza plays au pair Amelia, a woman caught in a dilemma. Her performance is emotionally impactful without being overshowy. Throughout the movie, the increasing panic and terror felt by her at her error in judgement is evident. The highlight scene for Barraza is the look on her face when deserted in the desert. B+.

03. Rinko Kikuchi
On one of the forums I frequent, one of my pals there had put up Kikuchi’s picture as their avatar, and for some reason, I was really pleased with him. It’s odd, you know, because she Rinko doesn’t actually make my personal top 10. But it’s more one of those performances you want to tell people about, because it shows such commitment to the Art, and intrigue, rather than personally admire. She is, in many ways, the soul of Babel, a character whose personal aspirations becomes the focus of the film. Vociferously mesmerizing. B.

04. Cate Blanchett
Well, for anyone who’s read the book or seen the movie, this is obviously a leading role. Still, category fraud does occur freakishly often now, so I won’t hold that against Blanchett. She captures the flightiness of Sheba well, and even after her actions (having an affair with an underage – but very yummy [it’s OK for me to say this] boy), she remains eternally likeable to the audience. We sympathise with her. But still, I wasn’t convinced by her acting in the last act of the film. It felt overdone and hammy. Sorry, Cate. C+.

05. Abigail Breslin
I know there’s a lot of fans of this performance, but sadly I wasn’t one. I know it was supposed to be winning and sweet, but, to be honest, I just found it nauseating. She’s better than Fanning, though. E.

Who will win: Jennifer Hudson
Who should win: Jennifer Hudson (Dreamgirls)
Who deserved to get nominated: Emily Blunt (The Devil Wears Prada)



And now, the fellas:

Alan Arkin (Little Miss ...)
Jackie Earle Haley (Little Children)
Djimon Hounsou (Blood Diamond)
Eddie Murphy (Dreamgirls)
Mark Wahlberg (The Departed)

How I did: 40%. I don’t wanna talk about this.

01. Marky Mark (B+)
02. Eddie Murphy (B+)
03. Djimon Honsou (B)
04. Jackie Earle Haley (C+)
05. Alan Arkin (C)


For you - cuz I'm lazy.

9 comments:

Katie said...

Barraza win = happy me.

Glad the twat twittered off. :D

Anonymous said...

Eh. Breslin was cute, but that was it.

I'm with you here - Hudson and Wahlberg for the wins.

Harry W said...

Funny you should speak of Hudson, I came across a fun little article about her:

http://popsugar.com/140365

And any of the Babel girls winning is fine by me.

Emma said...

He hasn't, Katie. :(

Reel Fanatic said...

Hola Emma .. I have to admit I'm in the camp that liked young Abigail quite a bit in LMS, but if I had a vote it would be for Rinko Kikuchi .. that said, Jennifer Hudson certainly will win, and I'll be happy enough with that

Anonymous said...

Babelicious.

Besty said...

Arsenal will go through. Man U will go through. Chelsea will go through. And... so will Watford.

Rinko Kikuchi would get my vote too, and thought I don't dislike Breslin as much as you, I agree that Blunt should have had her place.

And thanx for the mention elsewhere. I do have eyes, luv!

Stefan said...

Ha, if anyone but Haley wins supporting actor, I'll be content

dan said...

But Haley was good