Sunday, January 07, 2007

Best Supporting Actress, 2006.

Supporting Actresses Galore.



This post is in participation with the Supporting Actress blogathon that is going on at StinkyLulu’s blog. Check out and join in with the fun! :0)

My pick for the Best Performance by an Actress in a Supporting Role in a 2006 is Emily Blunt as the bitchy Emily in The Devil Wears Prada. Emily Blunt’s been an actress I’ve been noticing for a while now, from her breakout turn as wealthy towngirl Tamsin in Pawel Pawlikowski’s My Summer of Love, as well as her several TV appearances over the years. But her fantastic work in this film, where she manages to steal the show from Streep’s good-but-slightly-overhyped performance, trumps anything I’ve seen from her.

She plays Miranda Priestley’s fashion-savvy first assistant, who lives for her clothes. Her portrayal is spot-on and the blunt one-liners from Emily (ugh, crap pun alert) offers a good variation with Hathaway’s more wide-eyed, naïf. You can tell that Emily had enjoyed doing this movie, because in her performance she just totally lets her hair down and has fun, and in doing so is comedic heaven. I do love it when you can see an actor having fun with their role.

But, amazingly, she is able to bring a level of depth to the caricaturish character of Emily, by varying vitriol and desperation. She veers from Priestley-esque cattiness to genuine desperation in the short space of a few scenes, meaning that whilst we don’t adore Emily as a character, the film is simply lacking in magic when she’s not on screen.

So, FYC: Emily Blunt for Best Supporting Actress!

10 comments:

Lisa v said...

Yesssssssssssssssss Emma you rock! You just said everything I felt about this performance!!

Reel Fanatic said...

Hola Emma ... you do make a persuasive case, and I think the great Ms. Blunt will get a nomination ... After seeing Jennifer Hudson sing "And I Can Tell You I am Not Going," I have to go with the cattle in christening her, with a close second going to Rinko Kikuchi in "Babel"

Craig Hickman said...

Emma,

By now you probably know I'm not a ,Prada devotee by any stretch of the imagination (quite frankly I found the film boring), that I find Streep's (supporting) performance a one-note cliche, and that I'm not hot for Blunt like you are.

But I did watch the movie and yes Emily Blunt was entertaing, and yes she certainly seemed to enjoy what she was doing, but she doesn't steal the show from Meryl.

Not even close.

Will she get an Oscar nom?

I doubt it. But stranger things have happened.

Here's hoping your girl snags a nod.

Woodstock said...

Yaaay, I agree with you about Blunt's performance. It's amazing how she's so charismatic with such bitchy role. I must confess I'm a Prada-lover and in the 5 times I watched this movie I loved Emily Blunt in all of them. She's so vivid and funny and G-d, how hot she is!!

SamuraiFrog said...

You know, I didn't really appreciate her performance the first time I saw the movie in the theater. But then I saw her in My Summer of Love and watched Prada again on DVD, and I liked her a lot more the second time. Maybe because I hadn't seen her before the first viewing, it seemed sort of average to me. The second time, I saw a lot more depth. Great choice.

Anonymous said...

I preferred Streep, but since I consider her lead, Emily takes my win. Amazing performance. Ridiculously funny and entertaining. I really hope she gets an Oscar nomination. God knows she was better than Breslin.

Kamikaze Camel said...

She's definitely having some of the most fun she's ever had on screen. You can just see it in her performance.

Anonymous said...

Out of all of the people, you wrote the least but said the most. Well done!

Strange said...

i was impressed with her performance when I saw it...and no one seemed to be talking about it...i'm glad you are.

Emma said...

Yep. Emily basically ruled.