Sunday, September 03, 2006

A Look Forward...

To Best Original Score

Not my favourite category of the Oscars, but one of the ones that I can look at more objectively.

So far, my personal picks for the best scores from the films I have heard:

01. Volver (Alberto Iglesias)
02. Mission Impossible III (Michael Giacchino)
03. Alpha Male (Steven Warbeck)
04. The Da Vinci Code (Hans Zimmer)
05. Cars (Randy Newman)

Out of these, I think Volver stands a tiny chance of getting nominated, and I have the scores to Cars and The Da Vinci Code in my official predictions, even though I’m not overly sure about either. The Da Vinci Code, whilst having some great music, was deemed a stinker by reviews, and I doubt the Oscars would want to give a nomination to that film for that reason. Cars had some great moments in scoring, but by Newman’s massively high standards, the score was a little bit of a disappointment. It is not unheard of for Pixar films to get nominated for score (Finding Nemo?), but that score was a total eargasm, and my pick for the best film score of all time. So, I can only assume that it takes a score of great quality to get nominated, if it’s from an animated film.

Two of the best scores – Mission Impossible III, and Alpha Male, don’t even stand a chance. Michael Giacchino, who wrote the masterful scores to Lost and The Incredibles, definitely deserves a nod for the way he has amalgamated tradition action-cues with adrenaline rising riffs, and Alpha Male had some great little underscores that suited the domestic feel of the film perfectly.

My predictions for score at the beginning of the year were:
- Little Children (Thomas Newman)
- The Da Vinci Code (Hans Zimmer)
- Babel (Gustavo Santaolalla)
- Cars (Randy Newman)
- Lady in the Water (James Newton Howard)

Lady in the Water opened to even more duff reviews than The Da Vinci Code, and, more importantly, the score was deemed rather mediocre. So that one’s out.

Little Children is my personal choice for frontrunner, but I sincerely hope that will come true, and it’s not just all wishful thinking. Thomas Newman is my favourite composer, and Little Children has been picking up reviews as “2006’s American Beauty,” and we all heard the score to that film; it was incredible. Fingers crossed for Newman.

I still have hope for Gustavo Santaolalla’s score to Babel, and the film’s status has risen ever since its debut in Cannes, so if it does find it’s way onto the Oscar’s Golden 5, last year’s winner for Brokeback Mountain should get a look in as well.

And I have already mentioned the two scores to Cars and The Da Vinci Code.

So, at this current moment in time, which scores do I think we get nominated?

- Little Children (Thomas Newman)
- Babel (Gustavo Santaolalla)
- The Painted Veil (Alexandre Desplat)
- The Black Dahlia (Mark Isham)
- World Trade Centre (Craig Armstrong)

Yup. That looks about right.

2 comments:

Katie said...

Not WTC. The score is too weepy & pretentious

Melisa Marzett said...

You've done a great scope of work. Nevertheless, we're here to help you with any article or essay writing, so it will be easier for you to manage your precious time!