Saturday, August 19, 2006

A note about His Dark Materials...

His Dark Materials: The Golden Compass

Philip Pullman's His Dark Materials trilogy is one of my favourite trilogies of books ever, and, having recently re-read the third, I have been able to re-appraise it and realise the mastery in it. I am kind of looking forward to the film. Whilst I think this heady brew of religion, quantum physics and human story would look absolutely fantastic on screen, I cannot but worry about the casting. Lyra Silvertongue, perhaps one of the greatest literary characters of all time, right up there with Elizabeth Bennet and Lolita Haze, has been cast. The girl is an unknown actress, Dakota Blue Richards. Whilst I can't think of any 12-year-old actresses in Hollywood/England who could lift the role, unknown actress just sets off warning signs in my brain. I mean, look at the two Harry Potter actresses, Daniel Radcliffe and Emma Watson; they're hardly going to win any Oscars, are they?

I think bananas are yellow.

The casting of Will is an even greater cause for concern. William Parry is another great book hero, and I would rank him amongst Ron Weasley in terms of humanity, connectability, and outright braveness. He has not been cast yet. But I am already worried. Why? Um. Let us refresh our memory with the latest "blockbuster" to come out of England - Stormbreaker. Good book, eh? Shame about Alex Pettyfer, one of the most disgusting, Cristiano Ronaldo-ed pretty boys I have ever seen in my entire life. One of my less classy friends called him "Alex Petty-Phoar." No. I don't think so.

So yeah. I am worried. Eva Green would make a great Serafina Pekkala, however. She's got the perfect blend of mystery, allure and darkness. But Nicole Kidman as Marisa Coulter? Freaking no!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Welcome back!

Emma said...

Thanks... who are you? :D

Cleez said...

I'd like to see Keira Knightley as the witch

Emma said...

Yeah... your link's to the BBC news site. Um. Thanks.