Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Films I Saw Last Week.

Holes
Here’s a film I love more than deserves to be loves, because I adore the books. This adaptation is pretty loyal to the book, and there are some great performances, especially Shia LaBeouf as Stanley. He’s just the very embodiment of Stanley. Also, Patricia Arquette was pretty good, and Sigourney Weaver stole the show whenever she was on. Overall, I’d say this was interesting, different and sweet in the friendships it shows, and the sand-filled frames make you feel like you’re there with the kids. Very beautiful, with a killer soundtrack, too. B+.

My Super Ex-Girlfriend
Pretty dire attempt at a romantic comedy, really. Neither Luke Wilson nor Uma Thurman particularly impressed, though Anna Farris and Eddie Izzard were even worse. All the negative adjectives can be applied here – lame, predictable, unromantic, but there was the premise, that hasn’t been used before, which was interesting. There are about 1 or 2 laughs overall, but I suppose there are worse way to spend 90 minutes. C+.

Nacho Libre
Very, very, very disappointing. I couldn’t believe how utterly unfunny this was, especially as it stars one of my favourite comedy actors, Jack Black. The jokes are tired and the silly accents aren’t exactly going to induce belly laughs either. Very lame. C.

Alpha Male
Quite a curious one. Part of me was bored by the domesticity of it all, but the domesticity was probably also my greatest appeal to this film. Sometimes it did feel like an extended episode of Emmerdale, which is not good, but the acting is pretty great, especially from Danny Huston (The Constant Gardener), and Jennifer Ehle (BBC’s Pride & Prejudice.) She gets my nod for Best Actress of the year so far, and I thought she was very “Streep-like” in her performance. So overall, potentially mediocre tale, good performances. The ending was quite satisfying too. B.

Miami ViceWell, I’m neither a lover or a hater, but I would be inclining towards to latter, because of all the goddamn fanboys. Let us start with the positives – the soundtrack is the best for any Mann film, and quite possible the best for any film. It rocks, and suits the film beautifully. Also, I enjoyed an early cameo from that guy in Me and You And Everything We Know. The cinematography is commendable at parts, and sometimes, you feel caught up in the story, which is good. Right, the negatives: Colin Farrell and Li Gong SUCKED. They were everything bad and worse, and couldn’t generate enough heat to power an electric toothbrush. Gong’s accent was a joke. The pacing was far too ponderous for a multiplex’s audience’s good. The writing was questionable. And so on, and so forth. C+.

A Scanner Darkly
A curious one here, very, very curious. Part of me loves the rotoscape technique; the film is visually dazzling and you want every frame to linger so you can pay closer attention to everything. Robert Downey (unsurprisingly) is the star of the show in his drug-addled craziness. Keanu Reeves and Winona Ryder are pretty good too, though, to a large extent, this is just their voices. I didn’t care much for the story, and the “twist” at the end just baffled me even more. But still, you’ve got to see it for the art. B.

Snakes on a Plane


One of my favourite films of 2006! No points explaining the story, except to say, everything in this film is very, very, cheesy, but it’s so ENJOYABLE! Samuel L. Jackson is the man, and there are some very quotable (if not intellectually challenging) lines here, and some moments which are actually pretty scary. Overall, a great blend of comedy/action/thriller, with Kenan from the Kenan & Kel show and his impeccable comic timing, and a performance from Bobby Cannavale. It’s everything you could want! B+.

CarsMy favourite film of 2006, hands down. I’m a sucker for Pixar so anything they do will no doubt entice me, but hot damn, this was one of their best. The visuals are incredible, to rival Finding Nemo’s for most well-animated film. The story I thought at first was a little cheesy, but the great thing is, you actually get caught up in it, and at first echo Lightning’s sentiments (i.e., you want to get out of “Hillbilly hell”), and then, as he gets to know the people, you like them more. It’s as simple as that, really. The only thing that detracts from this film’s greatness is that there wasn’t any particular line that made the audience roar with laughter, but this was one of their more mature films, so I don’t mind. I ADORED the racing sequences, they were so exciting and fresh, the score from Randy Newman is beautiful, as is the use of non-original songs, and, as always, there’s a cute message, without the Disney sugar-coating. Lovely. A-.

Not much in terms of classics, but an eventful week.

2 comments:

Kamikaze Camel said...

Part of me says "Snakes on a Plane is a definite B+" but then there's a bit of me that goes "But it was a hootin' an' a hollerin' good time" and I wanna give it an A-

I CAN'T DECIDE

And Gong Li wasn't that bad.

Besty said...

Miami Vice is a masterpiece.