Saturday, June 10, 2006

Leo Love.

If you're reading this and I've told you not to, go away, please.
So yeah, in an attempt to beat this post-exam blues, I have treated myself to a different Leonardo DiCaprio film every day. Pretty sad, I know, but hey, it works.

Okay, so this week, I have seen:

- The Beach (Danny Boyle, 2000)
I really liked the book of this, and I must say, I found the film most disappointing. The direction was weak and screenplay très flawed, with lines of dialogue wooden enough to match that of Titanic’s. I didn’t think Virginie Ledoyen was very good (I say this partly out of jealousy), and neither was Tilda Swinton (I say this out of contempt). The film starts out decently, but then escalates into such absurdity that I wanted to scream, and in the end, just passes as a generic thriller/atmosphere piece. That said, Leo walks around with his top off a LOT.

Film: C-
Leo’s performance: B-
Leo’s looks: A-


- Catch Me If You Can (Steven Spielberg, 2002)
Entertaining little piece from Steven Spielberg, which came out the same year as his superior Minority Report (where Tom was quite a babe too. Sorry, had to say that.) I really liked me some Frank Abagnale Jr, I found the guy a real layer cake, and Leo had all the right elements – charisma, charm and that edge of corruption to play him, and play him finely. Also, something I didn’t notice before was that Amy Adams (of Junebug fame) is in this film! Anyway, the acting is generally good, the score from John Williams catchy and has a nice title sequence. Fun, if forgettable fluff.

Film: B
Leo’s performance: B+
Leo’s looks: A

- The Aviator (Martin Scorsese, 2004)
OK, I wasn’t planning on seeing this three hour arse number, but the incessant prattling from my friends kept saying it was better than Baby got me to. Anyway, first thing to say was: Technicolor! The use of colour was beautiful, and shone in every frame. I particularly liked the turquoise beans in the restaurant. The film itself was quite boring, though there were some scenes that worked well, mainly the ones between DiCaprio and Blanchett. Leo and Cate themselves are great in the film; the former never overplaying the tics as Hughes and undergoing the aging process convincingly. The false moustache looked as bad as it did on Jake, though.

Film: B-
Leo’s performance: A-
Leo’s looks: first half – B+, second half, C

- William Shakespeare’s Romeo + Juliet (Baz Lurhman, 1996)
Moulin Rouge! was a disaster, but I really love this film. It is so beautiful, hip, cool, sexy, intelligent, witty, and clever. So yeah, it’s a good film, with a wonderful screenplay, that retains the Shakespearean dialogue, but suits the modern day setting, and, having studied this, I love it the more. My only complaint is the editing, which was enjoyable, but also on it’s way to giving me a headache. The soundtrack accompanies the film perfectly, there are some deft supporting players (Harold Perrineau, Paul Sorvino and John Leguizamo), but the true star is Leonardo DiCaprio, who gives a performance more layered than an onion, more well-painted than a DaVinci, and hotter than a pepper sprout. I said, Goddamn.

Film: A-
Leo’s performance: A
Leo’s looks: A*

- Titanic (James Cameron, 1997)
One of the cheesiest films of all time, but still kind of sweet. I don’t want to shower this film with accolades, as it has been a least favourite of mine for a very long time, but blah, I guess the I saw the novelty in it this time. It was OK, I guess. The sound was good, cinematography nice, and Leo & CKate were good together. The writing wasn't, though, and I present you with, "I'm the king of the world!!!" Shudder.

Film: C+
Leo’s performance: B+
Leo’s looks: A

So, in terms of the grand scale:

Best Films
01. William Shakespeare’s Romeo + Juliet
02. What’s Eating Gilbert Grape?
03. The Basketball Diaries
04. Gangs of New York
05. Catch Me If You Can

Best Performances
01. As Romeo Montague in William Shakespeare’s Romeo + Juliet
02. As Arnie Grape in What’s Eating Gilbert Grape?
03. As Hank in Marvin’s Room
04. As Howard Hughes in The Aviator
05. As Jim Carroll in The Basketball Diaries

I won’t do the third category. No, I will.

Sexiest Performances
01. As Romeo Montague in William Shakespeare’s Romeo + Juliet
02. As Jim Carroll in The Basketball Diaries
03. As Frank Abagnale Jr. in Catch Me if You Can
C04. As Jack Dawson in Titanic
05. As Richard in The Beach

And to end with, some Trivia:
- Has been nominated for 9 MTV movie awards, and won 2. (I don’t know why I said this)
- Is of German, Italian and American descent.
- Was one of the biggest helpers in raising funds and aid in the tsunami appeal.
- … One inch taller than Jake Gyllenhaal. Very important.

13 comments:

someone said...

The fact that nobody's replied to this shows that Leo is, as you would say, "so passay." Move on.

Lisa said...

I like the pictures. ;)

Jason said...

It saddens me that even in your new found love of DiCrapio, you couldn't appreciate the fantastic CMIYC more.

Anonymous said...

LOL at this: "more layered than an onion, more well-painted than a DaVinci, and hotter than a pepper sprout."

Anonymous said...

Speaking of Da Vincis, did you like the Da Vinci Code?

Scott said...

You think Moulin Rouge sucks? Okay, it's official. You have the worst taste in movies on the internet.

Emma said...

Jason, one of the people that message at the beginning was targetted at was you. Name jokes are getting so passé.

And it is passé, not passay. Which Leo isn't.

Anonymous said...

Firstly, it was the peas that were turquoise.

And secondly, The Aviator was boring? I agree with Scott, you don't know a damn thing about films!

Estel said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Keep up the good work Cordless phone store Ambien coma Inflight universal headphone adaptor uk Kattenhorn norway phone call Buy tadalafil mg online Daimler chrysler service reps How to use cyberhome recordable dvd player contemporary area rugs 40 20 40 seat covers Zantac and zoloft pure dee blowjob Modern hygine vacuum cleaners check international phone Ionamin cod Free mpeg to ppc Zoo tycoon 2 for phones cheats Maytag air conditioners http://www.rieger-body-kits-bmw.info/1994_oldsmobile_achieva_maintenance.html sanyo xacti vpc-c6 6.0mp digital camera nutritional supplements

Anonymous said...

This is very interesting site... film editing schools

online shopping said...

I read really much effective material above!

Anonymous said...

seo google bomb ar condicionado automotivo, de, ar condicionado automotivo ar,ar condicionado automotivo, ar condicionado automotivo, -,ar condicionado automotivo,- ar condicionado automotivo, carro ar ar de carro, de ar
seo google bomb ar condicionado automotivo, de, ar condicionado automotivo ar,ar condicionado automotivo, ar condicionado automotivo, -,ar condicionado automotivo,- ar condicionado automotivo, carro ar ar de carro, de ar
seo google bomb ar condicionado automotivo, de, ar condicionado automotivo ar,ar condicionado automotivo, ar condicionado automotivo, -,ar condicionado automotivo,- ar condicionado automotivo, carro ar ar de carro, de ar
seo google bomb ar condicionado automotivo, de, ar condicionado automotivo ar,ar condicionado automotivo, ar condicionado automotivo, -,ar condicionado automotivo,- ar condicionado automotivo, carro ar ar de carro, de ar