Saturday, March 25, 2006

Top 10 Films to Cry At.

Crying is an Art, as well as a way of cleansing the soul. I have the utmost respect for it, which is why I’m not ashamed of being seen crying at films (though I hastily hid the tissue when everyone saw me blubbing through The Crucible at school). The 10 films I’ve chosen for today are ranked in order of most tears shed. You’ll notice that only 2 are from the classis era of moviemaking, and I believe that to be because, although the classics are undisputedly better movies, I just find it easier to connect with the modern films. So the list is relatively new, and please don’t judge me on that.

One more thing. This will prove to be quite an eclectic list. You probably won’t find many people who cried at Kung Fu Hustle and not at Schindler’s List, but that’s just the nature of personal opinion. Embrace it.

01. Brokeback Mountain
Romance, the genre that will incite all the emotions, in particular the sad ones. Such a rule is epitomized in Ang Lee’s heartbreaking film, where lovers Ennis and Jack were doomed before they even began. You’re really spoilt for choice at scenes to cry at in this film, whether it be Jack’s look of utter self-loathing as he drives away from Ennis and into the arms of a prostitute, Ennis’ desperate, quiet brooding at Jack’s shirt, or the heart wrenchingly pathetic “I wish I knew how to quit you!” What all these have in common is that they are driven by two men’s love for each other, one that, in such a time and place, could not exist without devastating consequences. That we grow to care about the leads so much only builds to the pain.

Image hosting by Photobucket


02. Not one Less
There are two scenes in this film that really grabbed my heart here. One, the ending shot of all the children, so joyously receiving something as unimpressive as chalks, and two – the plea that the lead gives on TV. She starts, just asking a boy to return, but soon self-pity overcomes her emotions and she bursts into tears. And why not? She so bravely ventured into the big bad city, shamelessly asking everybody for help, and never receiving any. It’s a sad journey, and the reward – some small sum of pay, makes it more humbling.

03. A.I.: Artificial Intelligence
An odyssey with robot boy David as he tries to get his mother to love him is as disturbing as it is sad. David risks his life in the face of capture repeatedly, because he was programmed to love, and that emotion is his driving force in everything he does. The final shot, in which he goes to sleep, getting what he wants, does nothing to ameliorate the unfairness of it all. David deserves so much better, and the wide-eyed innocence that Osment brings to his role characterises this.

Image hosting by Photobucket


04. The Green Mile
Like Shawshank, The Green Mile is an intensely sad prison movie, but unlike Shaw, there is no redemption for the most innocent of all, The Gentle Giant, John Coffey. Played by the excellent Michael Clarke Duncan, it’s soon clear that this man couldn’t hurt a mouse, let alone the two girls that he is accused of, and the calmness that he brings to the prison through his magic persona benefits all involved. He is so wonderful, that you really don’t think he will get execution, but sadly, he does, and the desperate fear in him, as well as the actual execution, is one of the grossest miscarriages of justice ever.

Image hosting by Photobucket


05. On the Waterfront
Though On the Waterfront, in its entirety, is not a tearjerker, Brando’s “I coulda been a contender scene never fails to bring me to tears in how years of repressed feelings come spilling out in an angry, resentful, and very moving monologue.

Blurry eyes here, too….
06. Grave of Fireflies
07. Dirty Pretty Things
08. Ikiru
09. Dead Man Walking
10. Finding Nemo

27 comments:

Manel said...

Hello from Portugal.
Your blog is great.
If you want take a look to my blog(www.batalhadeestrelas.blogspot.com)

Manel said...

Hello from Portugal.
Your blog is great.
If you want take a look to my blog(www.batalhadeestrelas.blogspot.com)

Manel said...

Hello from Portugal.
Your blog is great.
If you want take a look to my blog(www.batalhadeestrelas.blogspot.com)

MysticFist said...

Portuguese people can be a little bit annoying sometimes, eh?

And modern films are generally better than classics. The art of making films has evolved over the years... people came up with better and more interesting techniques to tell their stories... well.

In any case, my films:

01. Cinema Paradiso
Now that I've seen it for five times and already know what I'm in for from the moment I start watching it, I need no more than 2 minutes to start weeping uncontrollably, and apparently for no good reason. It's freaky. But of course, many more tears are shed as he waits for her outside her window & when he finally views the film reel containing the most powerful act of love I ever saw on screen. It's strangely uplifting and incredibly depressing at the same time. Beautiful.

02. Rocky
You know why and when I always cry... even if you don't.

03. Dead Poets Society
Same as above. How can someone not be moved by that?

This looks a bit too much like my favourite films list so far. Okay, what else? I really don't cry very often when I'm watching a film... Dead Man Walking, yes, always at the bit where his family is paying him one last visit, knowing he'll be executed; also My Dog Skip when the title puppy is left alone by his friend; and my eyes were teary when she tripped over and fell in The Road Home. I think that's it?

Anonymous said...

Midnight Cowboy
Crouching Tiger, hdden dragon

Anonymous said...

I couldn't stop crying at E.T.

jaime said...

Good to see Living on your list; that was the only film I've ever cried at.

Anonymous said...

Why all these sentimental films?

You may as well have cinema paradiso on there or something

laurent said...

Are you sure you just don't cry too much?

Emma said...

Maybe I do. And what's wrong with that?

Sol said...

Well, I certainly cried during Schindler's List... as well as Munich. Spielberg is a vastly under-rated director who is capable of producing powerful masterpieces.

Emma said...

Well, actually, I nearly cried at the end of Munich too! When Eric Bana offered to break bread, and the man said no, and he walked off. To me, that just showed how everything they'd done in the film was for a cause that they couldn't commit to, which was very sad.

Blue Champion said...

How did you miss "Life is Beautiful". This movie can make anyone cry!!! Superb movie, one of my all-time favourites!

ChiliLady said...

hey
your list is wonderful!!^

i also cryed at "the professional" with natalie portman. do you know it?

ChiliLady said...

hey
your list is wonderful!!^

i also cryed at "the professional" with natalie portman. do you know it?

Frank said...

BIG FISH <-- Man... this film makes me go fetch buckets for my tears!

sfrazier said...

you didn't put any of the ones i cried in!!!!

!. The Titanic. i SOBBED all night long and cried whenever i thought of Jack for the next month.

2. Charlie. It is so sad!! even BEFORE the girl gets cancer, its heartwrenching!

3. Lord of the Rings. When boromir died! waa! i loved him! and his death is just so, so noble!

4. Pearl Harbor. I acctually only cried once in this. but still! its so sad!

5. i cant think of any more!

Anonymous said...

It is certainly interesting for me to read this blog. Thank author for it. I like such topics and anything that is connected to them. I definitely want to read a bit more soon.

Anonymous said...

It is rather interesting for me to read that article. Thanks for it. I like such topics and anything that is connected to them. I would like to read a bit more on that blog soon.

Anonymous said...

It is extremely interesting for me to read that article. Thanx for it. I like such topics and anything connected to this matter. I definitely want to read more on that blog soon.

Anonymous said...

Don't stop posting such articles. I love to read blogs like this. BTW add some pics :)

Anonymous said...

Как дела? мм.. есть мега мысль по порталу http://www.Pi7.ru и ...

Думаю вам понравится у меня.

[url=http://www.pi7.ru/video/135-kakaya-zh-neopytnaya-dostalas-mne.html]Видео девочек[/url]
[url=http://www.pi7.ru/video/134-igra-do-orgazma.html]видео юных[/url]

CoolKapil said...

The only movie which made me cry
SOMEWHERE IN TIME

college board said...

Having read this material, I have learned for myself a lot of the new. Thanks

writing your dissertation said...

I think A.I. Artificial Intelligence is consistently involving, with moments of near-brilliance, but far from a masterpiece.

custom writing services said...

don't know about you guyz, but personally I guess that this movie is genius. yes, that rigth - absolutely great one, so cool

Anonymous said...

Nike Free Run 2 Womens Blue Yellow
Nike Free Run 2 Womens Grey Blue
Nike Free Run 2 Womens Pink
Nike Free Run 2 Womens Red White
Nike Free Run Plus Black Violet Womens
Nike Free Run 2 Blue Women Shoes
Nike Free Run 2 Womens Shoes Blue
Nike Free Run 2 Womens Grey Yellow
Nike Free Run Plus Womens Grey Blue
Nike Free Run 2 Womens Orange Red
Black Nike Free Run 2 Womens Shoes
Nike Free Run 2 Black White