Friday, February 24, 2006

For Your Consideration... Brokeback Mountain for Best Cinematography.

Now, I know my Brokeback is considered somewhat of a frontrunner for this category, but Memoirs of a Geisha, with its unquestionably lush visuals (not surprising, considering how it cost 5 x the price of Brokeback), but I still firmly believe that Brokeback Mountain was better shot. With its dreamlike fusions of colours, the iconic close-ups of the eyeframes, and the easy, gentle movement of the camera, the cinematography in this film was one of its main factors of its beauty. Where Memoirs of a Geisha, Batman Begins and The New World had the budget, Brokeback Mountain had the talented camerawork of a master, and results are stunning - Western meets 90's Art flick.
So, to refresh, if I were a member of the Academy (which I will be, as soon as I'm old enough to move to America and join), I'd cast my ballot:
BEST CINEMATOGRAPHY - RODRIGO PRIETO - BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN

Image hosting by Photobucket

2 comments:

Em said...

To be honest, with two faces like that to photograph how can you do badly?

lola said...

aww come on... memoirs of a geisha had like the best cinematogeahy ever